MAC Spiced Chocolate FOTD & Birch Aquarium Pictures

Hi guys! The post I have today is totally out of schedule, but I was so excited about this find I just couldn’t resist! I was recently able to score MAC’s coveted Spiced Chocolate Quad from the Cult of Cherry Collection!! I “got into” makeup around the end of November 2008 so I missed MAC Cult of Cherry by a couple months and of course Spiced Chocolate was LONG GONE by then. I’ve been interested in tracking it down for what seems like ages now but with it going for ~$80 on Ebay and always so quickly snatched up on blogsales, I had just about given up on ever finding it. My heart almost stopped when I saw it on Tammy‘s blogsale and I seriously couldn’t believe I was the first one to email her about it! It arrived safely a few days ago and it’s everything I wanted it to be. Thank you so much Tammy!!! :D :D :D (All pictures are clickable for the full-sizes.)

MAC Spiced Chocolate Quad Swatches: Nanogold, Brash, Sweet Chestnut, Spiced Chocolate

Here’s a picture of the quad and some swatches. I’m quite impressed by the eyeshadows. I am not a huge fan of MAC eyeshadows and I actually swapped away my MAC 6 Smokey Eyes from Holiday ’08 (incidentally, my first eyeshadow palette EVER). I think Spiced Chocolate is overall much higher quality though. Nanogold is a really light almost-exactly-my-skintone vanilla shimmer. It’s very sheer and kinda chunky, but it makes for a decent brow highlight. Brash is a metallic orangey rust. It has the best texture out of all the shadows – almost as buttery as my Shu Fleur de Source ones. Sweet Chestnut is a dark metallic cranberry. I don’t have MAC Cranberry to compare, but from swatches I think Sweet Chestnut is darker and less bright than Cranberry. It didn’t swatch as well as Brash but it layers and blends well on the eyes. Last is Spiced Chocolate, a matte medium warm brown. It also didn’t swatch as well as Brash, but it layers and blends just fine too.

Eyes: MAC Spiced Chocolate Quad, UD Baked; Cheeks: LM Nectar & MAC Nuance; Lips: Tsumori Chisato for Shu Uemura Jupiter Brown

Here’s my first FOTD with the palette. I wanted to use the whole quad, so I used Nanogold as the highlight and then put Brash almost all over my lid, Sweet Chestnut in my outer corner and crease, and deepened my outer corner with Spiced Chocolate. I did cheat a little and add UD Baked for highlighting my tear duct though. It’s the first time I’ve ever used a warm red/pink, but I actually really like it! It took a few attempts, but finally I figured out I just had to blend Sweet Chestnut out a little above my crease so that I didn’t look weirdly ill (damn my small lid space). I paired the eye look up with warm cheeks and lips. I used LM Nectar and MAC Nuance blushes, and Shu Jupiter brown lipstick.

There’s also a picture of my outfit of the day (OOTD) since I’m wearing one of the pieces I got from the YesStyle store and Innerchild was interested in seeing what I bought (I’m slowly collecting OOTD pics). The navy jacket that I’m wearing is from Dampoppo? I paired it with a light blue grecian style tunic dress which is just barely peeping out under the jacket, a denim skirt my mom got me from who-knows-where which I’ve had since high school, grey thigh high socks and black suede slouchy flat boots from Target. The hat that I’m carrying actually belongs to SO’s mom – she forgot it at our place so we were bringing it back to her on our trip to the Birch Aquarium!

And here’s SO and I outside the Aquarium. (This was on Sunday, the 3rd. And yes, I positively love living in San Diego. :D :D :D) I’ve been wanting to go to the Birch Aquarium forEVER, and SO has been promising to take me there forEVER, so I was so excited we finally got to go!! It’s sort of an outgrowth of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography and it’s a pretty small aquarium, but a very nice one. I took a ton of pictures. Unfortunately I don’t remember the names of most of the sea creatures… and I am way too lazy to label the ones I do remember. But if you have questions, feel free to ask them. =)

These were my favorite though:

How cool is this fish!? It has natural fishnets and polka dots! In the same fish!!!!
And HOW CUTE are these little guys?! Love them! LMAO!!! XDXDXD

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. =)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “MAC Spiced Chocolate FOTD & Birch Aquarium Pictures”

1. ect says:

Great fotd! Very natural and pretty ^^ I am not a diehard fan of MAC e/s either XP Cuute fishies!! Aw, I like the seahorses<3
    .-= ect´s last blog ..How to: add a favicon to your blog! =-.

Thanks! :D

And YEA! I think seahorses, sea dragons and pipefish are their specialty. They had a whole wing of the aquarium dedicated to them. I never knew there were SO MANY different kinds!! Sadly not all of my pictures turned out (I am so not a photographer LOL…) but yea, they were amazing. It was actually really fun and weird to watch them up close since they move mostly by coiling up their bodies (I guess since their fins are tiny) and can move their eyes independently of each other.

ect responds:

LOL I’m picturing how they swim… funny XD
    .-= ect´s last blog ..EOTD/FOTD – Testing out new products! & Your thoughts on… =-.

2. sizbelle says:

great attempt for FOTD! is the weather still cold over there?

mac e/s are fab, but i need more guidance on how to make it works for a eotd.. (guess, i’m just not talented enough)
    .-= sizbelle´s last blog ..Nail Swatch: Sephora OPI Metro Chic =-.

Thanks! And um… yes? If highs of 60s farenheight can be considered cold? I think it’ll get a little bit colder at the end of this month and we might have some highs in the 50s, but it never really gets *cold* here. It does get pretty cold in the evenings though, but only because of humidity and wind chill. Like, I was wearing my wool coat outside coming home from class and it’s only 49 F.

And aww, that’s not true. =P I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I basically apply my eyeshadow in the same exact pattern every single day! I just put the lightest color on the inside of my lid and slowly work my way through the darker colors to the outside of my lid LOL. I guess it works really well for my eye shape, so I think once you figure out what works for you, making new combinations is really easy. =)

3. Mona says:

i kind of miss spiced chocolate quad now that i no longer have it. The colors are great and you look lovely in your FOTD!

love the pics of the aquarium!!

Hahaha, awwwww. I remember I was so sad when I missed it on your blogsale!! & thank you! I did try to make the fishies come out nicely but I’m so not a photographer LOL. Some of the fishies swam so fast my poor little point-and-shoot had no chance!

4. Eva says:

that quad is sooo pretty!!! i regret not buying it when it came out…
    .-= Eva´s last blog ..Christmas Gifts/Hauls =-.

IKR?! I think of all the quads I’ve seen MAC put out, this is one of the most visually stunning ones, just to look at! I feel really lucky to have finally found it. :D

Dude dude dude…those fishes are AWESOME. Aah I’m feeling kinda meh at work right now and your photos make me so happy lol. CUTE LIL FISHIES FTW.

Cult of Cherry was a really good collection so it’s great you managed to get a quad! I’ve never for the life of me managed to make reddish browns work on me but I think you did brilliant! I love your outfit too, the tunic is so chic and omg I want your shawl!!!!
    .-= ilyana´s last blog ..The ultimate LUSH battle: Angels on Bare Skin vs Dark Angels =-.

Hehehe, yay! Glad I could brighten up your day. You would not believe though, it took me like 2 whole hours to edit those pictures! My poor little point and shoot struggled so much LOL, especially since I didn’t want to use flash (partly because I didn’t want to scare the poor fish, partly b/c of the reflection off the glass). Photoshop’s auto-levels and adjust curves are pretty damn amazing for fixing near-black pictures though!

& thank you! :D :D :D Teeheehee. I have to admit that is basically my favorite scarf ever. It was a Christmas present from my grand aunt to my dad like … when I was 7 or something? I stole it because I loved it so much and have kept it ever since. :D

6. innerchild says:

Omg, I love your outfit! :D I like how you put the colors together with the navy, charcoal tights, and black boots. Your jacket is so adorable! The pics from the aquarium came out well, I would think the aquarium is always dark (most of my photos were underexposed when I was at the aquarium in Chicago), the sea horses are so cute. Looks like you had a lot of fun :D
    .-= innerchild´s last blog ..Favorite Beauty Products of 2009 =-.

Hehehe, thank you!! People comment that I “dress well” a lot (though, mostly in the context that I dress well for a girl in engineering LOL), and I’m always kind of surprised because I basically only have 3 outfits LOL. I do try though. =)

And thanks! They actually came out very, very poorly, but I spent about two hours editing in Photoshop and auto-levels and adjust curves does WONDERS for near-black pictures of fishies LOL.

You look so good in these shades! I think, I haven’t seen you with warm colors yet, have I? They flatter you a lot, Catherine!
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

Thank you, Jess! I do wear browns and golds and greens about 40% of the time, but I’ve never worn anything nearly as orange/red before. I was always afraid to hahahaha, but they surprised me too. =)

8. Kristin says:

That lip color looks gorgeous on you!

Thank you! It’s definitely one of my favorites. :D

9. adin says:

I love your EOTD for this palette…I would definitely look for this…cuz’ I need one…and the shades just looks so good on u…:D

Thanks hon! :D Good luck finding it!!!!! :D :D :D

10. Arianne says:

I love what you’ve done with this. :) I have this palette, and it’s incredible! The shades really blend well together, and lots of possibilities.
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..M·A·C Chat: Have You Tried It? =-.

Thank you! I just did another look with it today and I positively love it. I think it may be my favorite combination of eyeshadows ever actually! How else do you wear it?

Arianne responds:

Hi Catherine,

Here’s how I wear it:

Inner 3rd of lid and highlight – Nanogold
    Middle of lid – Brash
    Outer 3rd of lid and crease – Sweet Chestnut
    Brows – Spiced chocolate (very faintly)

It’s really gorgeous blended out. :D
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..M·A·C Chat: Have You Tried It? =-.

Oooooh, I think I basically just did that today! Except I didn’t wear Spiced Chocolate on my brows since they’re black lol. It really is a very very gorgeous look!! Probably my favorite ever. :D

11. Cheers to you for getting it after lemming it for so long! I love that feeling. The colors look beautiful on you and I love your OOTD, sweetie! So preppie chic. Yes, please more OOTDs! :D I haven’t been to the aquarium in a long time but I do love looking at fishies too. Hee hee…the fishnet and polka dot fish is a natural fashionista!
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..Sin City, Part 2 =-.

Hehehe, thanks!! I was really so excited to have finally gotten my hands on it! Definitely a great feeling. :D :D :D And thank you! I will definitely try to do more OOTDs, I just haven’t quite figured out how to take an OOTD picture by myself yet so I always need to ask SO for help hahaha. & YEA! That’s what I thought too! :D :D :D

12. That’s such a gorgeous neutral colors quad! And your FOTD is very pretty as well. I actually really like my Mac Holiday 2008 palette, but it’s the intriguing scarlet warm eyes one. I love the jellyfish picture! (first row on the right). And the tiny little fish at the bottom. cute! :D
    .-= Makeupmorsels´s last blog ..Happiness Comes In Bottles =-.

Thanks!! I actually really regret not getting the ’08 Warm Eyes. Now that I know more about what works on me, ’08 Smoky was really just all the wrong colors lol. I can’t really wear silvers at all and Satin Taupe is way too red-toned for me. I think most of all though, the textures of that palette were really disappointing. Once I got my Kat von D palettes, I just basically never touched 6 Smoky Eyes again LOL!!

& hehe, thank you. I really enjoyed watching the jellyfishes. I probably could have stood there for hours. :D

Makeupmorsels responds:

Yeah, I did consider getting the 2008 Smokey, but I though the Warm Eyes colors were a lot better, and I could get more use out of them.
    they’re really hypnotizing! I always like watching the cute little fish teh best though
    .-= Makeupmorsels´s last blog ..Happiness Comes In Bottles =-.

great purchase from tammy’s sale :) the colors look really nice on you! I have a cranberry shade from benefit that I need to use more often as well, haha.

the photos from your trip to the aquarium make me think of tropical beaches…i wish this cold front would go away already! cute little fishies at the end…are they puffer fish?
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick =-.

Thanks! And you definitely should! I was really surprised but it’s really such a flattering color, especially when paired with gold. :D

And awww, I’m sorry. I hope it warms up on your end too! And yes! They’re some kind of puffer fish… I forget which exactly, but we didn’t get to see them puff up, sadly. They are really so cute though teeheehee. :D

san diego is a beautiful place ;) i want to go visit! and see you this time around!! hahaha. but who knows when i’ll have time T___T sob..

what a pretty quad!
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Merry Christmas! =-.

OMG YES COME VISIT!!! I don’t know where I’m going to be this summer or next year, so while we still have the apt! (’till the end of June ’10)!!

15. HT says:

I love your outfit! So cute… especially that scarf! And oh my goodness please tell me you got those boots at Target recently. I want a pair!

Errrr… I got them about a month or two ago? You can definitely check! I think they actually had a few different styles that were similar to this.

16. You look delicious in Chocolate!!

You and the BF are adorable–and thanks for the fishie pics!
    .-= Jamilla Camel´s last blog ..VoCE New Color Collection for Spring 2010 =-.

Hehehe, thanks!! :D