Stash Week: Lips!

Today Stash Week continues with lippies! The very large majority of my collection is lipsticks – I’m definitely a lipstick girl – but I was a little surprised to see how many lip colors I actually have.

(L-R, T-B) Jane Iredale PureMoist SPF18 in Catherine, Lily, Laura Mercier Stickglosses in Baked Earth, Poppy, Cranberry, Rosewater, Sugar Plum & Black Orchid, NYX Round in Apollo, Covergirl Trushine in Raspberry Shine, Jane Iredale Lip Drink SPF15, Dior Addict High Shine in Gipsy Red, MAC for Hello Kitty Big Bow (glaze), MAC for Hello Kitty Cute-ster (lustre), MAC Hang Up (cremesheen), Tsumori Chisato for Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimiteds in Jupiter Brown, Pink Venus, Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipsticks in Dizzy, Amethyst Shimmer, MAC Holiday 2008 3 Warm Lips

So first off here are all of my lipsticks. I can’t really talk about all of them in this post because I could just go on and on forever LOL. As you can see, I really favor the warm bronze/rose/red colors, but I was actually kind of surprised at how many cooler toned pinks and berries I actually have. First off, the blue tube in the bottom row is actually Jane Iredale’s Lip Drink SPF15. I wear this with all of my non-SPF lipsticks. The Jane Iredale PureMoists are my go-to in the summer or if I’m going to the beach, etc since they are the only lipsticks with SPF I can wear (I’m allergic to chemical sunscreen =/).

My favorite formula by far is the Laura Mercier Stickgloss, which I think is just the best lipstick formula out there. I already have 6 and I’m still collecting. Second best are the Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimiteds. Both of the ones I have are from the Tsumori Chisato Holiday 2009 collection and I freaking adore them for their packaging. Their formula is actually quite a bit nicer than I originally judged too. It’s not impressive compared to the LM Stickglosses, but it’s second best out of my entire collection, maybe even tied with the Dior Addict High Shine (though the formulas are very different).

Dior Gipsy Red actually happens to be the one featured in my first FOTD on this blog ever. MAC Hang-Up Cremesheen is the third lipstick I ever bought, and the one that I’ve had for the longest. It’s also the only one I have that has it’s own designated lipliner. I don’t wear it by itself very often anymore, but I do like using it to darken pinks. My most recent find is the sadly now-being-discontinued Covergirl Truehines (actually pretty damn awesome!) which I’ll be doing a full review on soon. Also notably, Rimmel Dizzy and Amethyst Shimmer were an RAOK from the lovely Gingitsune on MUA.

Sally Hansen Invisible Lipliner, MAC Lip Pencil in Vino, Prestige Lip Pencil in Nude

Here’s a boring picture of my 4 lipliners lol. I do actually really love the Sally Hansen Invisible Lip Liner and it works under every color of lipstick I wear a liner with. MAC Vino is specially designated for MAC Hang Up (though I think it’d be interesting under a few of the LM stickglosses as well. I have Prestige Nude and I don’t know why… and I’m not sure I’ve ever used it… I just feel like I should have a nude lipliner. I actually don’t wear lipliner much anymore. Since the Laura Mercier Stickglosses and Shu Rouge Unlimiteds don’t feather on me, I just haven’t really had to bother.

Laura Mercier Lip Plumper in Persimmon, NYC Liquid Lip Shine in Sungold Pink, Rimmel Sweet Jelly Sheer Lipgloss in Sugar!

And here is my very sad little gloss collection. LOL. I told you guys I was a lipstick girl. I do actually really like the Laura Mercier Lip Plumpers but I just don’t wear gloss often enough that I’ve felt compelled to go out and buy or swap for more (NIB of course!). The NYC Sungold Pink was actually a surprise gift from Izumi of Hello Moto (thanks girl!) and I admit I haven’t used it yet. I keep the Rimmel one around since it’s good for making lipsticks more sparkly for nighttime events.

The reason why I rarely wear gloss during the daytime is that I am terrified of the consequences of shiny lipgloss and UVA/B rays. My lips are already so wrinkled and lined from my years of abusing them so I try to be as careful to not damage them more. The rates of lip cancer, especially in young women has apparently shot up exponentially in recent years and scientists are guessing it’s because shiny lipglosses refract more damaging rays into the lips (whereas lips are naturally matte and reflect those rays off). Obviously, there’s no confirmation yet, but from my understanding of physics, it actually makes a lot of sense. So ladies, if you’re wearing shiny sheer gloss (or obviously shiny sheer lipstick is no better), protect your lips too!!!

Tomorrow is base makeup! And then I think I’ll be showing off my collection of compact mirrors and tea after that. =)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “Stash Week: Lips!”

awesome collection!! the best part is you actually wear them haha for some reason I have a bunch but I don’t wear any, what’s wrong with me? haha I guess I haven’t really found one that I really love and my lips are always super chap especially in the winter so I steer away from putting on any lip products besides lip balms.

I still have to try LM’s stickgloss that you keep raving about, I keep forgetting about it every time I’m shopping at Sephora! I must remember to add that to my cart next time and also Sephora’s Lip Attitude that I keep hearing good things about :)
    .-= amynaree´s last blog ..My Current Loves and Obsessions =-.

Thanks! Hehehe. I do love my lippies. I actually had a really hard time finding lipsticks that I can actually wear since my lips are just dry year round. I do highly, highly recommend the LM Stickglosses, Shu Rouge Unlimiteds and the Dior Addict HS for the least drying lipsticks. I think the LM Stickglosses are actually even conditioning, I love them so. :D And actually, you might wanna stop by CVS and see if you can score any of the Covergirl TruShines left because they’re actually *really* nice. They’re a bit on the waxier side and not as forgiving to dryness as the stickgloss formula, but overall they wear nicely and don’t feel drying either. I think they’re like 50% off right now too!

And duuuude, the reason is because Sephora only carries 4 of the stickglosses!! I have no freaking clue why but it makes them so easy to miss! Nordie’s has the full line though. =)

2. ect says:

Great stash! I was waiting to see this, as I’m addicted to collecting lippies and seeing anyone’s collections turns me on (; I have to throw out so many because I buy too much then use it once and forget about for a long time, and it gets all gross -_-; That’s a lot of lipstick! I try to wear more of it lately but I’m still a lip gloss girl, also not a very adventurous one, in regards to brighter colors :P I read the post you linked, and I’m glad I did — My lips are the EXACT same way >_< I hate it! Luckily DHC lip cream seems to still be working rather well. I'll have to go check out the other products you reccommended!
    .-= ect´s last blog ..Hurr did: Palty "Juicy Peach" =-.

Thanks! Hehehe, I do love lipstick. I feel like I actually buy lippies more than any other makeup item (but I think that’s also because almost all my eyeshadows come in palettes lol).

And awww. I actually haven’t had a lipstick go rancid on me yet and I’m so paranoid about it!! I don’t have many glosses for exactly that reason though. I actually have a few unopened ones in my traincase with my backups but I’m waiting to use them because I know I just won’t reach for them often enough.

And DUDE. I want that DHC lip cream after your post on it!!!!

OOOO! how lovely :) i love your collection, i recently downsized mine to a total of.. 8? or so? wait, 9. i would loveee to see swatches!
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Rimmel 002 and Kate/MM comparison =-.

Hehehe, thanks! Dude, my collection has grown so much since we last talked and I took these pictures *after* I purged too! I think I had some swatch pics… but I probably have to do them over again now LOL. I’ll get on it. :D

And I wanna see your collection!

4. Haha…we are polar opposites when it comes to lipsticks vs. lipgloss. I live in gloss and own one lipstick…lol. Love your collection, sweets. :D Gosh, that whole shiny lipgloss and cancer thing scares me. :( Hope it’s not true but it’s never bad to err on the safe side I guess. I can’t wear anything with SPF or mint so that probably doesn’t leave me with much options. Have any rec’s? :)
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..Girl Crush: Rachel Bilson =-.

Hehehehehe, I know!! Poor California Dreamin’ all by its lonesome. =P

And oooh. Hm. Why can’t you wear anything with SPF in it? Are they irritating? If so it’s very likely that you’re mildly allergic to chemical sunscreens too. I’m not a huge fan of mint either. I really recommend the Jane Iredale Lip Drink – it is truly an excellent balm (though I don’t like it quite as much as my SS one) and it feels really nice. Plus, the sunscreen in it is zinc oxide which is very stable, provides wide-spectrum protection, non-irritating and actually used as a skin protectant and conditioner for babies (like diaper balm). Aside from that, the only other balms with physical sunscreens that I know of are Burt’s Bees, Badger and Lipcotz but I cannot for the life of me find the Lipcotz one anywhere (except on Dermstore.com) and the Badger one apparently turns your lips white. The Burt’s Bees one is relatively new and only has titanium dioxide in it (it doesn’t have quite the spectrum of coverage that zinc oxide does, but it’s definitely broad spectrum and better than nothing!), but I think I’ve seen it in stores recently.

You can also just put regular sunscreen on your lips before you apply/reapply gloss. I’ve done it before but my lips don’t seem to like my sunscreen very much. =/ HTH!!

Shop N' Chomp responds:

Yep, California Dreamin’….you remembered! :D Yep, SPF and mint irritate my lips and makes it blistery. (Burt’s Bees is unfortunately a no go as it was an offender. *sad face*) Aquaphor’s the only thing that’s worked for me but it has no SPF. I will try mixing a bit of my sunscreen with it and try that! Thanks for the tip, babe!!
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..Girl Crush: Rachel Bilson =-.

LOL of course! And you only got it because they were giving it out for free for a promotion at MAC.

And ahhh. Mint really irritates my lips too. And hmmmmm, have you tried the Burt’s Bees ResQ balm? That one has sun protection but no mint in it. Also… it’s entirely possible that you’re allergic to titanium dioxide and not zinc oxide, so I’d really recommend the JI if you can possibly find a location near you to test it out. Also, what sunscreen are you using on your face? Maybe we can narrow down which ingredients are irritating your lips from that. Good luck!

Shop N' Chomp responds:

*giggles then blushes*

Nope, haven’t tried the ResQ balm. Will have to seek that and the JI out! I’m using Lancome sunscreen but I haven’t tried it on my lips yet so I don’t know if it irritates it. Guess I’ll try it tomorrow. ;) Thanks again, Cat!!
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..Girl Crush: Rachel Bilson =-.

You’re welcome! Hope you find something that works out for you!

awesome collection!! I need to show my lipsticks some more love! I buy them but never remember to wear them. And even w/ glosses sometimes I just put a coat on in the morning when I do my makeup and then forget to reapply for the rest of the day :-/ Which means I actually leave my lips bare most of the day because as soon as I start eating and drinking and wiping my mouth away, any color/gloss is gone already, and knowing me, sometimes that happens right after I have lip products on cuz I love to eat all the time, hahaha. btw, is it actually safe to ingest those lipsticks through eating/drinking? *shrugs*
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..[Catching Up] Hauls! =-.

Thanks!! And you should!!! I’m guilty of not reapplying my lipstick most days too. It’s sad, because I usually have to reapply lip balm anyway, but I’m just so wary of applying lipstick in many places on campus because it feels weird, you know? Also because I think I’m like… one of maybe 5 people in my (engineering) classes that wears any makeup and the only person that wears bright lipstick.

And um. I don’t think so. I mean, I don’t think it’s nutritious, but if you’re afraid of getting sick or something, seriously, there are much, much worse things than what’s in lipstick to eat. The main ingredients of most lipsticks are wax and natural or synthetic oils and butters. There’s actually a lot of evidence linking the charred part of meat to colon cancer (no seriously, polyaromatic hydrocarbons are really carcinogenic!!!) and there are many dubious food additives and preservatives. Those are much more dangerous than preservatives in skincare or most cosmetics ingredients. There are some people worried about how women ingest like 2lbs of lipstick in their lives or some crap like that but the truth is most women (and I bet even us!!) never even own two lbs of lipstick in their lives!!! Also, all those people fear-mongering over the amount of lead in lipstick are really just fear-mongering. Sure, there may be more than the acceptable value for food, but you don’t eat a whole lipstick the way you eat a piece of candy, right? Even if you reapplied 20x a day you still wouldn’t come close to ingesting the same amount of lead as in a piece of food that had a similar concentration. There are many things that I’m worried about, but being poisoned by lipstick is not one of them. =)

Lulu responds:

I totally know what you mean, I was just like u in college, we had like 4 girls in my engineering class, hahaha. and i thought it would be better once I start working, but now i’m of the 3, and the youngest :p I feel weird touching up makeup in my office :-/

Thanks for the reassurance. It also didn’t make sense to me how ppl say women ingest 2lb of lipstick in their lives! Now I just have to remember to reapply more often and have pretty lips everyday!!! I’m gonna go now and stare at my stash, hehehehe
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..[Catching Up] Presents & Prizes! =-.

(I combined your comments.)

Seriously!!!! It’s like… really awkward LOL. I mean, I feel like we have a hard enough time being taken seriously by being small Asian girls, it’s like, the last thing we need to have people think we’re vain and shallow on top of it, right? But I like my lipstick and I don’t think I’m vain or shallow!!! I also don’t really have anything against applying lipstick or touching up makeup in public *except* that I’m kind of afraid of what people will think. I think it’s so stupid to have to make a special trip to the bathroom to reapply, ykwim?? That’s what we made compact mirrors for!

Hehehe, and more FOTDs from you showing off your pretty lips! =P

6. hey I have that sally hansen invisible lip liner too! it’s the only one I like out of the 3 lipliners I own, but it’s almost gone, and I haven’t been able to find it in any drugstores near me for almost a month now. I’m not sure if they’re discontinuing it or what, but it’s making me sad! I’ll have to check out those Covergirl lipsticks before they’re completely discontinued. And have you tried Rimmel lipstick in Airy Fairy? It’s such a gorgeous nude pink, I think you might really like it.
    .-= Makeupmorsels´s last blog ..My Stash =-.

I know… I’m so sad. I got my last two when CVS was clearance-ing them out. I’m not sure if there’s a replacement for them either. ;_;

I am actually purposely staying away from Rimmel Airy Fairy LOL. 1) I have really dry lips and haven’t found a matte that hasn’t just *killed* my lips yet, 2) I’m not a huge fan of the Rimmel formula in general and I have to really want to wear a color for me to reach for the ones I already have and 3) I am actually really not a fan of nude or light lipsticks on myself. That’s why Cute-ster is the only one I have and even then I don’t wear it practically at all. I just can’t let go of the HK packaging lol. Thanks for the rec though!

7. zuuchini says:

wah! I just knew you moved!! now i’m back reading! I spot 2 shu uemura from the tsumori chisato collection! <33333

Lipsticks are really easy to accumulate!!! I don't see any nude colors, not a nude girl eh? ;p
    .-= zuuchini´s last blog ..Fails in life Part 1 =-.

Oh heyyyyy! LOL. Yea, I know. I was planning on posting another reminder on Monday but I forgot. I’m gonna post one early next Monday w/ a summary of my recent posts since I think most people check blogs in the morning at work when they’re bored LOL.

& yea!! I <3 my Tsumori Chisato lippies. :D And yes… I am really not a nudes girl. I think Cute-ster is my only one and I’m seriously considering putting it up for swap. I used to really like light nude colors ’till I figured out that they really don’t do anything for my complexion and make me look kind of sick (like, even SO pointed this out in not so many words lol). I’m better off wearing rosy or bronze-y MLBB colors. Jealous of those who can pull them off though!!

aww wth my comment didn’t get posted?!!! ahh i forgot what i said! :(
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..[Catching Up] Presents & Prizes! =-.

oh wait, now it appeared…something is buggy about my browser :-/
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..[Catching Up] Presents & Prizes! =-.

LOL. Aww. My browser’s been super buggy lately too, I think because of the webforms for my applications. Sad too, since Chrome is the one that usually behaves the best versus Safari and Firefox. T_T;

I’m a lipstick girl too! I have soooo many of them that I even found one under the bed after it went missing for a whole year LOL! I like that you have a nice range of shades in your collection, some girls I know tend to focus on one color- nothing wrong with that if you know what looks good on you but idk one reason why I’m a lipstick girl is because you get to choose from so many different shades, finishes and it just changes your look!

Like I’ve said, it sucks that you can’t try out the YSL Rouge Voluptes because I’m sure you would love them as much as I do!!
    .-= ilyana´s last blog ..Make yer own cheap furikake! =-.

Dude, your comment got marked as spam again and I cannot for the life of me figure out why!! Stupid WordPress. T_T;

Yay for another lipstick girl!! :D :D :D I agree. I think also in general I’ve had a lot more success finding lipsticks that work for me than glosses. And for some reason they just don’t hold the same kind of glamour for me, ykwim?

11. Diane says:

Love your lippy collection. So jealous of your Tsumori Chisato for Shu Uemura lipsticks! They are so vibrant. I own lipglosses but I’m more of a lipstick girl at heart too. Can’t wait to see your base makeup stash. =)
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Blush Collection Request =-.

Thanks! I love them too… my Tsumori Chisato stuff is probably the highlight of my entire collection. :D

12. PetSugar says:

Lol I think people should show their stashes of picked through jelly bellys. Mine is so sad. I leave behind all the brown, white and banana. I’m sorry this is so irrelevant. BUT I’m obsessed with lipstick too!!! I even bought this weird desk carousel in hopes of using to organize them
    .-= PetSugar´s last blog ..Claire La Faye : Hiking Your Princess Skirt WAY UP =-.

LMAO. I totally do too!

Oooh, I like the sound of this carousel! Pictures??

Ooh, thanks for the message about lip cancer!! AH how scary!! I’m lucky that I wear my soft lips a lot and they have SPF 15. Also a lot of lipsticks tend to have SPF now aday.
    .-= ndoodles´s last blog ..Pucker UP! =-.

Definitely wear your SPF on your lips! I’ll be doing a more scientific post on that soon.

I am also so jealous of all you ladies that can wear lippies with SPF lol. Most of them have chemical sunscreens and I’m allergic so I get seeping hives around my lipline… really gross lol…..

14. Mona says:

wheeeee!!! i’m a lipstick girl too! high five hahaa
    .-= Mona´s last blog ..Majolica Majorca Spring 2010 =-.

:D :D :D

15. shaynaJo says:

hie~~ that’s an awesome collection of pretty lipsticks and lipglosses ^^
    and ya, i do agree that we have to take good care of our lips from the sun.. lipcolor with spf is a must. =)

btw, i’m ur new follower.. i’m quite new to all these beauty blogging.. hope to get ur support~~

Thanks hon! =)