Fun with Blush

Hi guys! Today I’m sharing some pictures of blush swatches I took last weekend. These were unfortunately taken at night under fluorescent light, but I tried to color correct them for color accuracy. Basically I decided to go to Sephora and play with the NARS testers, then I went and compared to the blushes that I have at home. So, here are the pictures and some of my thoughts:

NARS Orgasm is by far the frostiest blush from NARS, and out of all the ones I have. NARS Deep Throat is more or less the same color as Orgasm, except that it lacks the gold frost and this makes it look much pinker (but it does still have gold sparkles in it, though I’d say it’s the least shimmery blush NARS I’ve swatched out of the shimmers). Laura Mercier Orange Blossom is just a tad lighter and less pink than Orgasm and it has a more subtle pearlised shimmer versus Orgasm’s frost. NARS Torrid is a good deal less pink and more red than Deep Throat, also with a good deal more shimmer. It’s definitely a coral – I’m surprised it’s compared to Deep Throat and Orgasm so much because I don’t think it’s that similar at all. NARS Amour is a matte and really gorgeous – it’s much deeper than Torrid with no gold pearl. Unfortunately it’s basically the same color as Paul & Joe Tango (Tango is maybe the slightest bit more pink plus it has a gorgeous subtle pearl finish). Laura Mercier Apricot is much lighter and more orange/pink. MAC Nuance and NARS Luster are incredibly similar. Nuance is a tad more pink whereas Luster doesn’t have any pink in it. Laura Mercier Nectar is matte and much lighter and pinker than both. I couldn’t really fix the NARS Madly swatch. It is a pretty brown pink, but it’s not that brown. The swatches of NARS Exhibit A and Outlaw are much more true to life in the above picture than in the below picture where I was correcting more for the pinks.

The two pinks I currently have are Laura Mercier Rose Bloom and Shu Uemura Lolly Cherry. Both are quite warm. Rose Bloom is actually barely rose or pink compared to many of the blushes I swatched LOL. NARS Desire is probably too cool for me. NARS Dolce Vita is a browned rose. NARS Mata Hari is a gorgeous cool plummy pink, but not so cool I don’t think I could wear it. NARS Outlaw is actually also a fairly plummy pink shimmer. It’s also super pretty. NARS Sin is not actually that weak of a swatch, but it’s definitely the least intense of all the NARS blushes I swatched. I don’t know if this is just because my Sephora’s tester is a little messed up? It’s a pretty straight plum with gold shimmer and seems to have a pretty high shimmer to pigment ratio. It’s not frosty though. NARS Taos is a red rose. It’s less pink than Rose Bloom, and more red than Paul & Joe Tango.

I believe I’m getting NARS Deep Throat in swap later next week but I’m not sure I’ll keep it. I’ve asked for NARS Sin from SO for a Valentine’s Day gift, as it’s been highly recommended to me by Ilyana and it looks freaking amazing on her. Soooo, my current shortlist is: Exhibit A, Mata Hari, and Outlaw. I’m on the fence about Torrid and Dolce Vita and really want to swatch Taj Mahal, Gilda and Gina (sadly my Sephora didn’t have these). I think I’m going to have to try a few of these on before I can really tell though. Like I said, Sin looks positively amazing on Ilyana but I would never have expected it to look like that on her based on my swatching.

What do you guys think? What are your favorite NARS blushes?

Disclaimer: The products featured in this post were purchased by me with my own money or swatched from testers at my local Nordstroms or Sephora. I am not affiliated with the manufacturers/distributors of any of these products and received no compensation for this post.

Tags: , , , ,

43 Responses to “Fun with Blush”

1. Girl, kudos for getting all those swatches to share with us! Thank you so much. =D I disliked NARS Orgasm so much I never bothered trying the other shades. Maybe I should re-consider?
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..A Day In Hollywood =-.

Hehe, you’re welcome. I had a lot of fun swatching and figured I might as well take pictures. =)

Dude, you should totally try out some of the other shades – I was really surprised at how frosty Orgasm is, even compared to the rest of the shimmer blushes! Torrid and Luster are probably the most shimmery after Orgasm, but they’re nothing close to frosty and most of the other shimmer blushes are matte with pretty disseminated silver or gold sparkles. I think Taos had the biggest sparkles, all the rest were very fine, though the ones in Sin were pretty noticeable in the swatch as well. Try the mattes! Amour, Exhibit A and Mata Hari are totally gorgeous!

2. Eva says:

how are laura mercier blushes? they look really nice!! my fav NARS blushes are Deep throat and luster
    .-= Eva´s last blog ..Revlon Creme Gloss Review =-.

I love Laura Mercier’s blushes. I have four (1 shimmer, 2 mattes, 1 loose matte). They’re all a bit on the light side, but they’re medium pigmented so they’re very easily buildable. Laura Mercier doesn’t have a huge color selection, but I think all her shades are beautifully wearable. I actually prefer them to the NARS or Shu that I have most of the time because it’s much easier to control how much you have on whereas with the super pigmented ones I’m always afraid of putting on too much and end up having to blend them out with a fluffy powder brush. I guess the really pigmented ones end up looking more natural since it’s such a sheer layer of powder that you put on, and they last longer, both in terms of staying power and longevity.

3. Kayla says:

I’m not huge on blush, but I do like that Orgasm one, and how shiny and sparkly it is. (:

Thanks for the swatches. <3

Kayla

cinnamonontoast@blogspot
    .-= Kayla´s last blog ..what kayla actually means =-.

Aww, really?! I LOVE blush! I think it’s the single thing that really makes me look alive early mornings LOL. A lot of people really love Orgasm. It’s a bit too shiny for me, but I suffer from midday shine, so I’m a little wary of all shimmer/frost face products.

eeekk I see a lot of my favorite blushes! and you have a lot!!!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..AMW Reviews: MAC Just a Pinch Gel Blush =-.

Oh LOL, nono – I went to Sephora to swatch all the NARS ones. I only own the non-NARS blushes lol.

Which ones are your favorites?

OMG CAT! Those are some epic swatches…like I expected maybe a couple of blush swatches you were interested in but you gave us literally a handful of swatches LOL – girl you are awesome. I like how they’re in neat labeled little circles too, such effort!

I think Outlaw would look really good on you! Mata Hari reminds me of Angelika but without all that gold shimmer – that would look nice too. I can’t wait for you to get Sin!! I get what you mean about it looking different on me, I was kinda surprised myself tho honestly Sin would look SO much better on you than on me!
    .-= ilyana´s last blog ..Chocolate works in mysterious ways. =-.

Hehehe. Well, I was interested in like all of them LOL. But I also wanted to see how close certain ones were, ykwim? Like, I’m pretty sure I don’t really need Torrid, Deep Throat or Amour given the ones I already have. And actually, I think Angelika is most like Desire with sparkles. I didn’t swatch it because I wasn’t exactly interested in silver sparkles in any blush. I was actually sad because I think Crazed is really pretty but the silver glitter just kills it for me. ;_;

I can’t wait either!!!! SO said Friday, so I’m hoping to wear it Saturday for dinner. I’ll definitely try to take pictures. But yea – Sin just doesn’t swatch well, I think. It looks so unassuming in the swatch and also in the pan. I can’t wait to try it on. :D

omg great job! thanks so much for all the swatches, this is very useful! I can see what you mean by orgasm being very frosty now that it’s compared against deep throat! and you are right, it’s very similar to LM orange blossom! that’s such a pretty color :) Man I can never imagine myself wearing Exhibit A though! such a bright red :)
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..My name is Lulu and I love shopping! =-.

LOL, you’re welcome. I had fun doing it. :D And dude, I know right?? I really like the color of Orgasm but I’m pretty wary of shimmery face powders and colors since I already get midday shine and often I like… forget to blot until around 5pm or so (and that just doesn’t look good as it is LOL). I really love Orange Blossom. I think it’s so pretty hehe. I do like that Orgasm is pinker though – I think the difference is noticeable on the cheek. And awww, you should totally try it!! Exhibit A is gorgeous with a super light hand! :D

Oooh, I was hoping to see a swatch of Angelika!
    .-= Blair´s last blog ..Lunasol Party Coffret 2009 =-.

Aww, sorry! Angelika is basically the same color as Desire, except with silver shimmer. It’s a true cotton-candy pink but not quite as cool as in the picture. I think it’d be super pretty on you actually, since you’re lighter than I am. I do actually know a few ladies with my skintone who love Desire, but I feel like it would just take more effort to make it look natural on me since I’m really yellow lol.

Blair responds:

Angelika sounds like an adorable pink. Thank you for recommending it to me!

Have you tried Shu Uemura’s Glow On M33E? How do you think it compares to Angelika? It’s so much easier (and cheaper) for me to get Shu compared to Nars (not sold in Malaysia)..
    .-= Blair´s last blog ..Lunasol Party Coffret 2009 =-.

Hi Blair, oooooh. You know, I have not tried any of Shu Uemura’s Glow On blushes… from what I’ve heard the texture and pigmentation is very different between Shu and NARS but I’ve heard fantastic things about the Shu blushes. I don’t know a comparable color off the top of my head, but maybe you can try asking on Makeupalley? I bet someone there would know! HTH!

wow, thanks for the swatches! To be perfectly honest, I actually don’t own a NARS blush at all. *hangs head in shame*

Depressing right? I mean I’ve bought a couple, I think I bought Orgasm and Deep throat as presents for my friend, but for myself I didn’t get anything.

Mata hari looks really pretty! In fact, most of them do. Although I think I’d probably end up buying Desire if I was at a counter. I always end up buying candy-pinks! Although that’s probably the most pigmented I’ve seen…

LOLZ. No worries girl – I didn’t have any either. I have one now, actually though, that SO just got me. I can already see that it’s going to be an addiction LOL.

Desire is super pretty! And I think it’d work so well on you – I think I’m a little too dark and yellow for it to be easy to pull off. And yeaaaaa – the NARS are super pigmented. Or, well, most of them are. I’d use a skunk brush for sure.

9. freshelle says:

wow, so many many swatches! i’m not a fan of orgasm. the color doesn’t match with my skintone *gasp* it’s not as univeral as they claim it to be.
    my favourite is dolce vita. love love love <3

Hehe. I had fun. =) Aww, I do really like the color of Orgasm, I just hated the frost. But I totally agree with you – I don’t think there is any universal color cosmetic out there. Ooh, I feel like I have to try on Dolce Vita. =)

10. hahaha wow thanks for doing so many swatches! Nars torrid looks very pretty
    .-= makeup morsels´s last blog ..Road Trip =-.

LOL. I had a lot of fun and figured I might as well take pictures. =)

Torrid is so pretty! Sadly I feel like I already have so many colors like it though… LOL. I really love my peachy-pinks.

thanks for the swatches! I really like NARS Desire and Exhibit A, for some reason I’m into bold and vibrant blushes these days! Probably because I rarely put anything else on my face so my blush might as well be out there :)
    .-= amynaree´s last blog ..Review: Canmake Nudy Glow Lip Gloss =-.

You’re welcome. :D Dude, I totally agree with you! I think blush is seriously the most important cosmetic I wear (though… brow powder and mascara are very close too) and so it might as well be pretty! I think all the NARS blushes can be worn very naturally though – all the FOTDs I’ve seen of Exhibit A are sooo, soooo pretty.

12. Arianne says:

I’m going to be honest here… my heart skipped a beat when I saw all these swatches. Thanks so much for the pretty swatches. :) I want to try Exhibit A!

And Lolly Cherry looks like the perfect warm pink. Does it have some shimmer at all? If it does, I am all over it!!! But how much? I’m afraid to look.
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..Fighting a Makeup Rut FOTD: Bright Violets. =-.

LOL. Yay! I aim to please. :D Dude, you should totally try Exhibit A – it’s like, the prettiest natural flush I’ve seen in pictures.

Oh, I adore Lolly Cherry. It doesn’t have shimmer, per se, but it does have this lovely subtle pearlized finish which I really love. Unfortunately, it was LE a few years ago. I’ve had trouble googling for information on it, I actually swapped for this one on MUA. Good luck finding it though! It’s so worth the effort!

13. HT says:

Y’know, I bought Orgasm recently but I’ve been thinking that I’d probably like Deep Throat better, for exactly the reason you posted… more pigment and less frost!

Seriously! I couldn’t believe how frosty Orgasm is compared to the other blushes. It’s still very pretty but it makes me feel like I have to be really careful using it.

i’ve got NARS deep throat and still totally prefer it over orgasm – sin does look like a nice blush that would suit your skintone though :) Milani’s Luminous is an easy dupe for the Orgasm/Deep Throat shade, so if you still really want DT, I’d say save a few bucks and pick up the Milani blush instead.
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..Giveaway #2 =-.

Ooh, FOTD from you! =P

I just got Sin from SO tonight, I totally can’t wait to wear it tomorrow! And dude, I’ve heard of the Milani dupe a bunch of times but sadly they just reformulated and apparently the new one, while nice, isn’t the same at all. =/ Sad…

I’m trying to swap for Deep Throat right now though, so we’ll see. =)

15. Katy says:

Great post! I’m a bronzer girl but I’m taking a break from tanning and I’m getting so pale so I’m starting to use blush again. =P
    .-= Katy´s last blog ..When I Retire… =-.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun swatching so I figured I might as well take some pictures.

It’s funny, I used to wear bronzer every day, but now that I’ve lightened up so much from wearing sunscreen every day I feel like I can finally wear a ton of different blushes now. It’s a lot of fun. :D

SO MANY BLUSHES! wow :D thanks for the swatches/descrips!
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Foundation + Highlight =-.

LOLZ. You’re welcome. :D :D :D

17. Claire says:

thanks for the swatches and comparison dearie! my fav NARS blush has got to be angelika. it is a really pretty shade of cutsy pink. do check it out if have not. :)

xoxo
    .-= Claire´s last blog ..Taiwan Beauty Loot Part Five: SOGO Hauling – Jill Stuart, MAC, P&J & many more. =-.

You’re welcome! I had a lot of fun swatching hehe. Oooh, I didn’t swatch Angelika because of the shimmers, but I think it’s just about the same color as Desire. It is really pretty, I’m just not sure I’d wear it that much since I’m fairly yellow lol. I’ll have to give it a try in-store though!

18. BofB says:

I don’t know how how pale you are, but I’m roughly NC20 and Dolce Vita can look horribly muddy on me unless I use a super light hand with duo fibre brush. It’s beautiful but takes too much effort to get right, I would definitely approach with caution. Deep Throat and Gilda are both really nice!
    .-= BofB´s last blog ..The Perfect Cheek =-.

I got this feeling too – which is why I definitely want to try it on first. So far I’ve had to use all the NARS blushes I’ve tried with a skunk though, so I’m not sure that would change much for me lol. I’m NC30-35, though, so I’m a good bit darker than you. Thanks for the recs! :D

Hmm it seems I keep missing all your new posts for some reason. I don’t own any Nars blushes but that’s because I don’t need any more blushes. I have been buying blushes like crazy so I need to stop for now :D But I think my fav. from your swatches would be Torrid and Amour.
    .-= ndoodles´s last blog ..What a morning! =-.

ORLY? I’d love to see your blush stash! I still feel like I need to build up mine. I barely have any pinks at all LOL. And oooh – P&J #10 Tango is almost the exact same color as Amour except with a little pearlized shine – plus it comes with a highlighter and it’s $2 less. :D

20. Diane says:

Hey Cat!

I love all your swatches thanks! I only have 3 NARS blushes Orgasm, Super Orgasm, and Angelika. You’re making me want to get more NARS blushes now! Haha. =)

I’ve always wanted to try Deep Throat and Torrid, I think I’m going to have to get them on my next Sephora run! I’ve never tried any Laura Mericer blushes but now I want to try Orange Blossom because of you. =P
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Blogger Meetup + Returning Products =-.

Heeheehee. I kind of want all of them. LOL. But I’m glad you like the swatches. :D

Ooh, I love the LM blushes – I think they’re super wearable and they’re the easiest to use that I have imo – and it’s not that they’re not pigmented or anything – they’re great – but they’re such wearable flattering colors that it’s hard to overdo it and so easy to blend nicely. I have 3 of her pressed blushes and I love all of them. It’s actually suuuuper sad that Nectar is discontinued because it’s really gorgeous.

21. Marshmallow Popsicle says:

Thanks for the post :) I can’t wear any of the blushes on your wishlist, because they are all red-based and bring out the ruddy tones in my skin.

My all time favorite blush from NARS is Madly. It is the perfect nude to wear with smokey eyes and nude lips, or to give a soft natural flush with neutral makeup. Like all NARS blushes the pigmentation is amazing.

My new favorite contour color is NARS Douceur. I love Silvana for a beige look and Angelika for a baby pink look. Deep Throat is nice for a peachy look and Oasis is perfect for a pink look. Sin and Luster are great for evening. Albatross is the perfect highlighter.

I also have Amour, Lovejoy, Sertao (discontinued?) and Laguna bronzer, but I don’t wear them very often.

My wishlist: