3rd Anniversary Gifts, Dinner FOTD, Haircut, etc

Hi guys! Finally back today with a rather disjointed post. I do hope I get to post more this week than last week though arguably this week is busier (I have two midterms tomorrow, meetings Wednesday and then I fly out for interviews Thursday-Friday + weekend in SF with SO… etc, etc). Anyway, as those of you who’ve been reading know, SO and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary last Tuesday. It’s a little crazy to think we’ve already been together for that long LOL. We didn’t get to celebrate until the weekend, so here’s all the weekend stuff. SO went to Nordie’s Friday Saturday night to buy my anniversary/Valentine’s Day gifts.

All wrapped up! MAC 188 with my old MAC HK 187SE
NARS Sin NARS Sin swatch, indirect sunlight

I had him get me NARS Sin and the MAC 188. It’s perhaps less romantic this way, but I think we ended up both happier LOL. I actually wrote him an email of specific instructions, including which entrance of Nordie’s to enter and where to ask for help. Poor guy scribbled some stuff down on a post-it instead of printing out the email and so when he got there he asked for the “MAC one-eight-eight dual fibre face brush” and the “NARS powder ‘Blush in Sin’” because he apparently cannot parse beauty product names. Both he and the MA were so confused LOL – but they figured it out in the end and she gift-wrapped them extra special. :D

Eyes: MAC Circa Plum, Copperized, Sweet Sienna, HIP Gold Charge & Prestige Granite
Cheeks: NARS Sin, Shu Uemura Golden Snow; Lips: Laura Mercier Sugar Plum, Sally Hansen Orchid

And here’s the first FOTD I did wearing NARS Sin. I really love it! It’s a really pretty pinky-plum with subtle gold shimmer and makes for such a natural looking flush! I never would have guessed from looking at it in the pan or from swatches so thanks to Ilyana for the rec! The gloss was part of a care package/Valentine’s present Lulu sent me. (Thanks!! I promise your package is coming soon, though perhaps not by Valentine’s day…) Unfortunately, I’m not sure I love the 188 yet. I think maybe it’s just because I’m not used to it, but it took me *such* a long time to get my blush even since it’s considerably smaller than my cheek (but the 187 is just a tad too big?). I’m guessing a lot of that is due to the fact that my cheeks are uneven and reddish in places with cystic acne and concealer so that makes it harder. (Incidentally, Sin is more or less the same color as my blemishes but I think that’s what makes it look so natural LOL…) I’ll keep experimenting but I think I might have to hunt down the Sonia Kashuk or Studio Tools skunks though as I’ve heard they’re smaller than the 187 but bigger than the 188.

Right Left

I also got my hair cut on Saturday (FINALLY – it was almost 4 months and just way too shaggy!) at Moga Salon with Yuya. He’s seriously the best. I went with more of an angled bob style this time. Both sides are actually supposed to be even and angled down (like the right side, and they were when I left the salon) but I left my hair air-dry and apparently haven’t mastered combing them in place yet lol. Doesn’t Sin look incredible from this angle?? So I’m pretty sure it’s just the acne that’s throwing me off.

SO’s beer mug, Kostriker Schwarzbier, my beer mug LOL

I got SO a variety of fancy beer for our anniversary/Valentine’s Day. Here’s the first one we sampled. I’m pretty sure I lack the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (so, alcohol is first dehydrogenated by two alcohol dehydrogenases into an acetaldehyde which is more poisonous than alcohol – this is why hangover sucks so much) and probably one of the alcohol dehydrogenases (this means I have the tiniest bit, a teaspoon’s worth maybe, and go straight into hangover… and I’m probably allergic to the tannins in red wine as well) so I got the mini cup LOL. I believe it’s meant to be a novelty shot glass but it was so perfect for the occasion. :D :D :D

And here’s a picture from Sunday. We went out for a quick dinner at the Dumpling Inn (which has pretty damn fantastic Xiao Long Bao – so happy to have found a great dumpling place in SD) and got dessert at Yogurt World (that’s where we are in the picture). Gonna save the fancy dinner for next weekend. ;D

Disclaimer: The products featured in this post were purchased by me with my own money or purchased by the SO for me with the money he gets paid for going to school. Neither he nor I am affiliated with the manufacturers/distributors of any of these products and we received no compensation for this post.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

56 Responses to “3rd Anniversary Gifts, Dinner FOTD, Haircut, etc”

I love your haircut it’s so cute and edgey! I wish I could pull off shorter hair but my face is too round I’ll just look like a blow fish :)

Sugar plum looks gorgeous on you and so does Sin, I need to get me both!!

Adorable couple picture!
    .-= amynaree´s last blog ..Review: Canmake Nudy Glow Lip Gloss =-.

Aww thanks lol. I don’t think that’s true – I have a ton of baby fat on my face as well but I actually find that my face looks fatter when I have long hair (because I have no layers when it grows out lol)! I think it’s all in how the layers are cut!

Dude, you totally need to get both! Sadly I don’t know why Sephora only carries such a limited selection of the Laura Mercier stickglosses. They’re totally fabulous! Luckily I think all Nordstroms have them. =)

haha awww ur SO is so cute and so nice for getting the brush and the blush for you! I can imagine how lost he must be at Nordies! ehehe

I love your hair cut :)

hehe ur mini cup of beer is so cute too :)

yay on 3 years being together!!!
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..Bring it on, glitter nails! =-.

Hehehe. He was really lost LOL.

& thanks! :D :D :D

3. Kayla says:

Those gifts are cute! Aha, poor guy walking into that store all alone, he was probably scared haha.

Cute picture! Congrats on 3 years. (:
    .-= Kayla´s last blog ..weekend wrap-up =-.

Thanks! Hehehe. He really wanted to just give me cash and have me go buy stuff for myself but I was adamant (and about the gift wrapping too lol). But I think he did quite well for his first time makeup shopping! Gotta train them while they’re young, y’know? LOL.

& thanks. :D

4. blu3 says:

aww girl your SO is so sweet! def a keeper! Your story reminds me of how I got my bf to buy me japanese makeup when he was in Japan…poor bfs, the things we put them through eh? :P

anyway, congratulations on your 3rd anniversary! and your haircut really shows off your neck, sexy! hehe ;)
    .-= blu3´s last blog ..Alice in Wonderland palette now on Sephora.com =-.

Hehehe. He can be pretty adorable sometimes. And LOL. I would totally do that too! But yea, poor guys LOL.

& thanks! You know, I actually posted these pictures on MUA last night and got a ton of positive comments on my neck as well hahaha. It really surprised me because as a kid my mom always tried to put me in turtlenecks because of my freakishly long ostrich neck lol.

awwww! you two are so cute <3 i think this is my fav pic of you two, besides the one with the ridiculous hats on fb.. hahahaa.

cute mini mug!!!! <3

love your new haircut :D and man, i just tried a milani blush and it looks exactly how my cheeks look when my rosacea flares up.. HAHAA. so natural! :P
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Dressing for a Pear =-.

Hahaha, thanks! I think the silly hat pic trumps all – but check out the ones I just uploaded to twitter (http://twitter.com/mochistrawberry/status/8836860742)!

your hair is gorgeous, you look so cute! Such a lovely photos with your man and yourself!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..AMW Reviews: Stila Major Lash Mascara =-.

Aww, thank you! :D

7. Eva says:

oooh nars sin is really pretty!! love the new hair very chic!
    .-= Eva´s last blog ..Oh Dior how I love thee =-.

Sin is really very pretty! It’s so unassuming in the pan, I never would have guessed! & thanks! :D

Wow… lovely gifts you got! And haha… it’s so funny to hear, how SO named the items! ;)
    Oh and, Catherine… *gasp* your new haircut is gorgeous!!! I LOVE this kind of even bob with light layers! It totally flatters your face, plus it makes you look fresh and very fashionable! Love love loooove it! ♥

I used to have a similar haircut too, before I started to grow them out, but I think it made my round face look super chubby, haha…

Nars Sin looks very pretty on you too! Indeed a natural flush! Good choice, Catherine! ;)
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Update about my blogger photo problem… =-.

Hehehe, he is pretty hilarious. He said next time I clearly need to like, write out more connecting words or italicize the different parts of speech LOL.

& thank you! I used to have this haircut (albeit a little longer) and I really like it. I wasn’t sure my hair was long enough for it yet, but Yuya did a really fantastic job. I’m sure it’ll grow out really well too. :D And awww, I don’t think that’s necessarily the case – I actually think long hair makes my face look fatter LOL. It’s all in the layers! :D

9. Congratulations on your anniversary! I love that he went out and bought your goodies with instructions in hand. So cute!
    Sin is my favorite NARS blushes by far and it suits you perfectly.
    Love your hair too!

Michelle
    xx
    .-= Michelle (Lipstick Rules)´s last blog ..QOTD: Why do we like nude-coloured lipsticks? =-.

Thanks! Yea, he’s pretty adorable. :D

I’m really pleasantly surprised by Sin! I feel like it’s the sleeper NARS blush because you rarely hear about it!

10. Stephanie says:

lol at the mini cup. I forgot to mention that your neck is so long and elegant with that bob!

Isn’t the mini cup cute?? & thank you! My mom used to call my neck an ostrich neck so I’m actually really pleasantly surprised at all the nice comments I’ve been getting recently. :D

11. Arianne says:

LOL!!! at “Test 2 blahblahblah goddammit”

I loooove your hair! Suits you perfectly. :)

I really want to try the 188, but it costs CDN $41. :( So expensive. After you’ve played around with it some more, please give us an update on how you like it, or not. And Sin does look good on you!
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..Brown Eyes: FOTD (2 lip versions!). =-.

Hahaha, lol sorry!! I was just trying to make sure the email thing was working and get rid of the default reply button.

Thanks!

OMG. I know it was really expensive. I’m a little sad b/c I know the full size 187 is definitely too big (and even more expensive!) but I’ll definitely play with it more. The fact that the sides of my cheeks look so nice makes me think that it really is just my acne playing tricks on me.

LOL your SO is so cute!! I’m so excited you got Sin!! Finally after a month of “Cat, you should really check out Sin. Srsly. You should” you have it yayyy! Hahaha it looks SO PERFECT on you, I’m seriously jealous lol – I need a very light hand with it or it’ll look funny on me. And you got the 188 brush too, that’s awesome.

Loving the haircut – so sexy! and awww the photo of you two together gives my cold, bitter heart some hope that all men aren’t evil assholes (lol)
    .-= ilyana´s last blog ..tea noir’s 1st birthday/anniversary: MY MAKE-UP STASH =-.

TEEHEEHEE. You were SO RIGHT!!! :D :D :D It’s so unassuming in the pan – I never would have guessed!! Seriously!!

& awwww – the right guy is out there for you, hon – you just have to keep an open mind and keep looking! They turn up in the most unexpected places!! :D

13. eek what happened with your comments? loll well hope it’s all fixed now. I’m so in love with your haircut, it looks great on you! Congrats to you and SO, Sin is super pretty on your skintone :)
    .-= makeup morsels´s last blog ..Intense Night Lip Therapy with La Roche-Posay =-.

LOL sorry – they’ve been upgraded as announced in the left hand column! You can email-subscribe only to replies on your own comment now rather than just to all comments to a post (which I think makes way more sense as I’ve always been way more interested in what someone has to say in response to me rather than what everyone has to say, which also gets really spammy really fast). :D

& thanks! :D

It’s so sweet of him to buy the makeups you want. I don’t think my bf would do that :D
    love your haircut. it looks really sweet on you!
    .-= Dina (XYYan)´s last blog ..A Piece of Me…. in February 2010 =-.

Aww, really? SO and I usually ask the other what we want or decide together beforehand for special events – it makes things much easier and practical lol. I think he would have bought me anything but I specifically asked for these two items. =)

& thanks! :D

AHHH! I’ve been waiting for this post =) Wanted to see what you guys got up to on your lovely anniversary date! =D Your S/O is sooo cute for getting you the makeup you wanted. Bless him.. ^^; And you guys look so adorable together! 3 years goes so fast doesn’t it? Haha..Although I’ve only been with my bf for 2 years so far.

What did you get him, may I ask? xD

And the blush is SO pretty on your cheeks! But yeah, its not just you, I also find that if I use a more ‘natural’ blush when I have acne, it’s basically the same shade, and seems to make all the concealing I did a complete waste of time =_= So when I have acne, I use those super-pink blushes, or orange/gold ones instead!

And aww at your tiny beer mug. I should get one of those. We prefer cider over beer, so we drink that instead. But the most I’ve ever managed is half of half a pint. Normally I just stop drinking, and then it disappears ‘magically’, by magically I mean my bf drinks it. Haha.. And LOL @ your cute explanation of the alcohol metabolism process! When I explained to my fellow groupmates at medical school that most Chinese didn’t have alcohol dehydrogenase they were really shocked. I don’t think it ever occurred to them before! Hahahaha…

Anyway it sounds like a really hectic week! I hope you don’t get too stressed out, and everything goes well for you! =D Good luck! Jia you!

Aww LOL sorry! I would have posted earlier! Yea, he tries. It was actually really sweet of him because he was originally going to go Friday but didn’t since I hadn’t given him my Sephora card (well and I was gone all day for interviews) so on Saturday he was working on a programming assignment with a deadline but he still went out to get the stuff because I told him I had to wash the brush before I used it and I wanted to wear the blush for our dinner date lol. Luckily his assignment deadline was extended because the server crashed but it was really sweet of him. :D

Oh man. I hear you. I usually stick with the peachy blushes at all costs but I really wanted to try it out LOL. That P&J Tango, which is pretty red, looks even worse! Sad too, because it’s so pretty. Guess I’ll just have to wait it out though. ;_;

I got him beer! I think it was 9 bottles? All different kinds that he picked out himself too. He’s a bit of a beer snob lol. Yea, to be honest I’m really not a fan of beer. For some reason SO really likes the dark hoppy kind and it really reminds me of the traditional herbal medicine my dad used to make me drink as a kid LOL.

& thanks!! I’ll manage somehow lol. =)

jian responds:

Just remembered. I LOVE YOUR NEW HAIRCUT! It’s so pretty.

Can’t believe I forgot to mention it. xD I have these things in mind but when I start to type I forget what I was going to write. I think I’m suffering short-term memory loss! D=

Hahaha, thanks!! I do that all the time too, but usually I just leave it (or on here I edit my comment b/c I can LOL).

16. pfefi says:

TESTY TEST. C:

okay not really. X3 congratulations though! and omg love love love your bob. i totally have a thing for short hair but am trying so hard to grow mine out. i caved and got mine bob-ified again in september so this is attempt #2. xD

so, i 100% have problems with the right side of my hair hanging/drying/falling differently than the left side which falls fine. seriously. remind me to show you my drivers license photo some time. talk about total hair fail.

but have you tried fat hair roller things? i just bought some velcro ones from daiso and they are seriously DA BOMB… 8D

LOLZ. I hope it works!

Thanks! Dude. I tried the whole long hair thing for a while and I just never did anything with it! In theory I love the concept of being able to style one’s hair and curl it and straighten it and braid it and bun it, etc, but I never did! So I figure I might as well just roll out of bed looking at least somewhat chic everyday instead of being super boring every day lol. Good luck on your growing out though! It was *so* hard for me when I was doing it.

And LOL. I think everyone has this issue. It’s so irritating! I don’t even know how Yuya dried my hair LOL. If it weren’t for the fact I’m so lazy and clumsy I think I’d give it a whirl but… well, lazy and clumsy lol.

Hmmmmm. No. And I’m not sure I understand how they would be used? Do tell!! :D

pfefi responds:

thanks! XD if i can make it past the shoulder this time i’ll be impressed. i’m aiming for the boobs. 8D

okay here is my TOP SECRET* secret to symmetric hair:

1) take an embarrassing DL picture to show everyone you’re a hair failure and motivate yourself to find a cure:
    (lol i need to TEST some html action yo)

2) go buy these, like, right now:
    they’re made of MAGIC. (read: velcro)

3) slap ‘em in your hair right after showering for more curl, or when half dry for less curl. (package says blow dry optional but i usually air dry while makeuping)

4) rejoice thoroughly.

:D

*actually i bought these on Saturday so i am far from expert. but i am hella sold / converted / brainwashed after 2 days so they have to be good, right? x3
    .-= pfefi´s last blog ..i AM a panda! =-.

LOL awwww – but dude my hair is like that EVERY day!! LOL. And oooooh – so totally picking those up at Daiso next time! It sounds super easy and exactly like what my hair’s been missing in the drying process. Thanks!! :D :D :D

17. PixyEla says:

Hi there,
    I just recently found your blog & following now. The gifts were wrapped so beautifully & your FOTD is soo pretty. Haha it’s cute how your bf pronounced the MAC brush & NARS blush. XD Congrats on your 3rd anniversary!! ^^
    .-= PixyEla´s last blog ..L.O.V.E. for EkiLove ♥♥♥ =-.

Hi! Well glad to hear you find me interesting enough. =)

IKR!? I was actually super impressed with the boxes and ribbons! I would have been totally happy if they’d just used some tissue paper in a gift bag lol. & thank you. :D

So Sin is the same colour as your blemishes? That’s fantastic! ahaha XD I know how hard it is to wear blush, because on me, they emphasize my scars -.-
    .-= Blair´s last blog ..A Boost Of Hydration =-.

Yea, I know right?! LOL. Usually I stick to peaches when I have blemishes because that doesn’t seem to emphasize them as much.

19. I love your new haircut! It really frames your face nicely! You and the BF are adorable too!
    .-= Jamilla Camel´s last blog ..Test Drive – Maybelline Pure.Cover Mineral Concealer 01 Nude Beige =-.

Thanks! I think a good haircut is all in the framing. =)

20. Marce says:

Awww the two of you look so cute together!
    .-= Marce´s last blog ..Tutorial – Dark, Smoky Black Eyes =-.

Hehe, thanks! :D

21. Diane says:

Sorry I’m late but Happy Anniversary!

Love your hait cut, I really like short hair but I think my head is too big for short hair, haha!

OoO NARS blush in Sin looks pretty. You are becoming a bad influence I see all these pretty NARS blushes you have and I want to get them. =P

Hope you had a great day!
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Blogger Meetup + Returning Products =-.

Thanks! And aww – that’s not true – it’s all in how the layers are cut! There’s a face-framing, flattering shape for everyone. =) In fact, my face looks so much rounder when I have long hair with no layers lol.

And LOL. I only have Sin so far, but I do have a lot of fun swatching them. I’m thinking of getting Outlaw next.

You too!!

Good luck on the interviews!! Wow I didn’t know that about alcohol… but after reading those words – you’ve reminded me that I have a molecular and cellular genetics biology I have to study for!

You guys look so cute!! Ha ha – make up language is difficult to handle if you are a novice sometimes :D
    .-= ndoodles´s last blog ..What a morning! =-.

Thanks! I really hope I do well.

And LOL, really?! It’s the plague of most Asians.

& thanks hehehehe. That is true, I guess. =)

23. yumeko says:

you guys look super cute together!!!

love ur haircut

wish i could have hair tat short!!
    .-= yumeko´s last blog ..Random drugstore buys, magazine scans etc =-.

Aww, thanks!! :D

24. Woah, I like your gifts! ;D So lucky hehe

&& I really LOVE your haircut!! It’s so cute, omg, you look great with it :]
    .-= Dana Yoshimizu´s last blog ..D♥T Charms =-.

Hehehe, they are pretty awesome, and I think I am really lucky. :D

& thanks!! Yea, I was just getting too shaggy lol.

happy belated anniversary! Sin looks really pretty on you, as does the gloss from Lulu!

I think MG has only bought me one beauty-related item in the 5 years we’ve been together…and that was a philosophy pumpkin gloss just a few months ago =P

I don’t own the MAC skunk brushes, but I’ve picked them up many times when I’ve gone to MAC…the Studio Tools skunk brush is really nice though – so nice that I have 2, 1 for foundation and the other for blush/highlighter.

hehe…I lack whatever the enzyme is to process alcohol, so all I really need is 1/2 a glass of wine to feel the effect…happens even faster on an empty stomach, and I spend the rest of the night looking like I have a sunburn, haha
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..Giveaway 3 Winner & Giveaway 4! =-.

Thanks!! Yea, I was so surprised at how well it works on me I think. I definitely wouldn’t have expected it from the pan at all.

Hahaha – see, I’m training SO early on. :D

Oooh I’ll definitely have to check that out! I’ve heard so many good things about that brush I just so rarely get out to a Target or Walgreens since I don’t have a car… lol.

And LOL. Same here! Except more like half a teaspoon of wine and I turn purple lol…

26. don’t know if i’ve already said this but i LOVE you with your new hair!! it looks so good <3 congrats on your 3rd year anni! xx
    .-= Anita (*swtexcape*)´s last blog ..Going Crazy For Mint Green =-.

Hehehe, thanks!! :D :D :D