My DePotting & Pressing Adventure – TKB Freestyle Palettes & Pans

Hi guys! I may not be able to post over the weekend as I’m heading to a grad school recruitment event early tomorrow morning for a school I already got accepted to and won’t be back until Sunday. I also just received news that I got into my top choice school in San Francisco today, so I’m incredibly happy!

As you all know, I hate the packaging of my UD palettes, so when I found out that TKB Trading was having a sale on their “Freestyle Palettes,” I jumped on the opportunity to get a few for depotting, as well as some pans to press my loose MAC pigments and Everyday Minerals shadows. I got my order last week on Friday and immediately set to work.

TKB Trading Freestyle Palette with depotted UD shadows

I have to say, I am so happy with these! The similar Z-Palettes cost $14, but the TKB ones are $12 and currently on sale for $4.50!! (They do have a minimum order of $18.50 though, and shipping is $6, if I recall correctly.) I don’t have any Z-Palettes to compare, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the TKB Trading ones. They’re cardboard, but they look sleek and feel sturdy. The clear window is made out of a thick cellophane type plastic, but feels like it should hold up pretty well unless you stick something sharp into it. The palettes themselves have a nice smooth finish so you can wipe them down with a wet cloth, and they’re already magnetized, just like the Z-Palettes.

Empty pigment jars! Depotted UD palettes.

I have been wanting to press my loose Everyday Minerals shadows and my MAC pigments for a long, long time, and so I also ordered a bunch of their empty tin pans. (These are also already magnetized!) I bought 25 each of the small square, small round and small rectangle pans, but ended up using only the small square and rectangle ones. In retrospect, I probably would have been better off buying their “Press Pack” which comes with a nice pressing tool for the different sized pans, but I wasn’t really paying attention at the time.

TKB Trading Freestyle Palette, depotted UD Get Baked & Deluxe palette shadows

I depotted the UD palettes first, just prying the shadows out with a knife. I did break a few of them in the process, but it wasn’t anything a bit of 91% isopropanol and a little pressing couldn’t fix. The Get Baked palette had much sturdier pans and was much easier to depot. The Deluxe palette is kind of a cheap piece of crap and the pans bent a lot while I was trying to get them out, so I broke most of the shadows at least a little bit, and the pans aren’t even magnetic! I’m hoping to get magnetic stickers for them sometime in the future. In the meantime I just won’t flip my palette upside down.

TKB Trading Freestyle Palette, Pressed MAC Pigments TKB Trading Freestyle Palette, Pressed MAC Pigments and EDM loose shadows

I pressed my MAC pigments, which already have binders in them, simply with 91% isopropanol and they were very easy to press. I used a clean tissue, the back of an empty pan and the handle of my EcoTools mineral powder brush to do the actual pressing. I forgot to buy a pressing medium for my Everyday Minerals loose shadows (they have no binders, so if you only press them with alcohol, they’ll just fluff apart once they’re dry), so… I kind of fudged one. I ruined a few of my shadows this way, but I hadn’t touched them in over a year, so I can’t really complain, and I successfully pressed the ones that matter to me most. I used roughly 1 drop jojoba oil and 2 drops glycerin for every large square pan… but don’t take my word on it! Sadly, Sunset Voyage, Matinee and Coffee Break did harden, but they had too much binder in them to really use as eyeshadows (so no pigment comes off it), but In the Garden, Comfy and Cypress turned out beautifully, and those are the ones I really wanted anyways. In the Garden is probably one of my favorite taupes ever.

I’m very happy with the outcome of my palettes. I am now seriously considering ordering a few more palettes for depotting my NYX singles into while they’re still $4.50. If you prefer the look of the Z-Palettes (or like the larger size, or the fact the larger one comes in pink), you can get 15% off when you order $60 or more of their large palettes with the code MYSTYLE15 until March 9th.

Disclaimer: The products featured in this post were purchased by me with my own money. I am not affiliated with the manufacturers/distributors of any of these products and received no compensation for this post.

Tags: , , ,

38 Responses to “My DePotting & Pressing Adventure – TKB Freestyle Palettes & Pans”

1. Stephanie says:

very cool post! :)
    so the UD book of shadow pans will just stick to the palette fine right? or were those the “Deluxe” ones you meant that didn’t stick?
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Just what I was looking for =-.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don’t know about the Book of Shadows pans. The Get Baked palette pans were already magnetized, but the Deluxe palette’s pans weren’t. The Deluxe Shadow Box is not the same as the Books of Shadows.

Stephanie responds:

oops, my bad! should’ve looked more closely

lol, no worries! =)

2. Arianne says:

So cool! I’m going to have a look and see if I should buy one. Such a great idea! This way I might actually use my loose eyeshadows once pressed. :)
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..Night of Swatching: MAC + Vasanti Go Canada! Palette. =-.

IKR!? I literally hadn’t touched my Everyday Minerals shadows in over a year and while I love my MAC pigments I just rarely use them because it’s so much easier for me to reach for a pressed palette. But NOW, I have them right in front of me, easy to see and easy to use! I can’t wait to fill up my palettes now teeheehee. I have slots for about 9 more sample jars. :D

These look so awesome! now you can stay organized with these palettes and they’ll be GREAT once you start moving up north, so u don’t have to lug so much individual containers with you, hehehehehehhe :D I am so excited about your acceptance, congrats again!!! I am literally smiling here as I am typing to you because I couldn’t contain my excitement for you, yayy, good job!! <3

Aren’t they pretty!!! I was sure to point that out to SO too LOL. He hates accumulating stuff and clutter so I specifically pointed out how much easier these will be to move with!

Thank you so much!!!! I am super, super excited. :D :D :D

4. ect says:

They look great! I’ve been wanting to press a few loose shadows… hate dealing with the mess XP I’ll have to look into those palettes! =)
    .-= ect´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Dude, it’s SO EASY!! I can’t believe I waited so long to do it! :D

I’ve always enjoyed making my own palettes and such… but the UD palettes were cute though. Still, I really want to depot and do all this. I just hate the mess!

CONGRATS on getting into your top school!!!! WOO HOOO :D :D :D
    .-= ndoodles´s last blog ..Battle of the Duos =-.

LOL. I thought the Get Baked palette was cute, but it was so bulky! And then I broke the mirror so I was like meh. And… I basically always hated the Deluxe palette packaging lol. I don’t get it! I actually like the packaging for the Show Pony palette, just not the ones I had LOL.

And THANK YOU!!!!

I am amazed you had the patience to do all that depotting omg! I honestly can’t be bothered LOL, omg can I send you my pigments and you do them for me hahahah? I’m kidding hun but wow good job on the effort!! Everything looks so pretty now ;D
    .-= ilyana´s last blog ..The Weight Loss Entry =-.

LOL. It really wasn’t so bad! The depotting barely took any time at all actually, they all popped out relatively easily. The pressing did take a lot longer, but it wasn’t hard at all, and I did basically all of them in one evening… about 5 hours or so? Not too bad. :D :D :D

7. Denysia says:

I need to do this with my eyeshadows! Thanks for the tip! :D
    .-= Denysia´s last blog ..Megan Fox Curly Hair Tutorial! =-.

It’s so nice to have them all together now! :D

Pressing pigments/mineral shadows are sooooo addictive! Thanks for sharing the code with us! :)
    .-= Blair´s last blog ..Lunasol Skin Modeling Eyes 01 Beige Beige =-.

Hehehe, it definitely is addictive! Once I started I couldn’t stop ’till I was done! & you’re welcome =)

9. pfefi says:

really helpful post! :D i’ve already forwarded it to my friend who has threatened to go at her coastal scents palette with a utility knife… 9_9
    .-= pfefi´s last blog ..sally hansen scandal! =-.

Hey! I’m glad you enjoyed it. Hope it turns out to be helpful for your friend too! =)

10. loll I looked at that first picture for the longest time thinking ‘why does that look so familiar?’ I’m slow today o.O but man that must be such a relief not to deal with the velvet and the bulkyness. The thing that annoys me most about that packaging is actually the chain mail. Whenever I move the palette around, or pick it up, I can HEAR it shifting around *grits teeth* You’ve got some gorgeous neutral pigments there girl!
    .-= makeup morsels´s last blog ..Pain Is Beauty (The Ankle Boots That Killed Me Toe By Toe) =-.

makeup morsels responds:

ooh and how could I have forgotten to say congrats!!! I’m so happy for you

11. Eva says:

congrats on getting into grad school!!! thanks exciting!! wow thats cool i might try that someday.
    .-= Eva´s last blog ..Mini Sephora haul, FOTD and exciting news!! =-.

Thank you!!! And dude, you totally should – I don’t know why I held off so long, everything is soooooo much more convenient now!

wow, diligence! hahaha. and YAY FOR SF!!

LOL. It’s a little addictive.

& YEA!!! Thank you!!! :D :D :D

13. Rae says:

!!!! Congrats on getting into your school of choice!! ♥ Your palettes look fab, by the way :)
    .-= Rae´s last blog ..An interview on… gender =-.

Thank you & thank you! :D :D :D :D :D :D

congrats again on getting into your 1st choice school :) that’s so awesome!!!

excellent job depotting and pressing all those shadows! it really does make it easier to use when they’re all set up in palettes together. I’ve started leaving some of my palettes out as a reminder to reach for them more often :)
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..Sasa and Zirh Purchases =-.

Thank you so much!! I’m super, super excited!

And ty!!! I’m so annoyed at myself for not doing it sooner LOL.

15. those palettes look really cool. If I don’t depot things into palettes they never get used for some reason. It’s so sad!
    .-= scarlettholly´s last blog ..Spring Color Forecast EOTD Gold Look =-.

Thanks! So true, right?! I’m kicking myself for not having done it sooner LOL!

Hi Cat! Glad your pressing adventure was such a success! Now you make me want to press my pigments too because I have so many and I would probably put them to better use if they were pressed :) BTW I received my Haute look order and got LM Sugar Plum, and wow the formula is amazing and the color is gorgeous..thnx for the rec!

Hey! Dude, you totally should! I’m kicking myself for not having done it sooner! It’s so much more convenient now and I get to actually use all my pretty colors. :D :D :D

And oh yay!! So glad you like it! :D

17. Congrats, congrats, congrats Cat!! *hugs* Wow, you did such an awesome job here with your palettes! I’d try it but I’m a klutzo….hehe. ;)
    .-= Shop N’ Chomp´s last blog ..Mail Goodies + Surprise =-.

Thank you so much! :D :D :D

& thanks! & dude, it’s really not as hard as it looks!

18. Miss. P says:

<3<3<3<3 your blog! So many reviews and helpful information! ^____^

I'm following~<3

XOXO

Miss. P
    .-= Miss. P´s last blog ..Eat noodle; don’t eat noodles~ =-.

Aww, well thank you! :D