tokidoki Kabuki Brush

Hi guys! I have a fun review for you all today. I think this may actually be my first review of a cosmetics brush. I’m not sure why because there are many in my collection that I love. Anyway, today I’ve got lots of pictures of and a few thoughts on the tokidoki Kabuki Brush ($28, Sephora).

tokidoki Kabuki Brush in box tokidoki Kabuki Brush box top

Like the Inferno Bronzer, the packaging of the tokidoki products is really stunning! Here are views of all sides of the box the brush comes in. I particularly love the face on this one!! :D

Some of the characters featured here that I recognize are the Rocketeer, Diamante, Adios Star, Tsuru (the girl), Samba (the monkey), and I want to say the cactus guy is Sabochan with extra makeup?

tokidoki Kabuki Brush in box, multiple views

The brush itself is massive. The base is plastic and the bristles are 100% synthetic. I guess most notably the brush head is purple. It’s quite sturdily made and I haven’t had any shedding from the brush yet. The base of the brush is just over 3 x 3 cm and the brush itself fans out quite a bit. The bristles are reaaaaaalllly soft. Like, softer than my EcoTools brushes soft!!!

tokidoki Kabuki Brush

The base also has adorable tokidoki art on it. Unfortunately I totally missed that the bottom of the base also has a picture on it lmao! I’ll update this post with a picture of that soon too.

tokidoki Kabuki Brush, multiple views (the last picture is repeated on the other side)

I am happy to report the brush is actually fairly easy to wash. Like I said, it’s quite sturdily built and took my repeated washing and wringing with no problems whatsoever (I do not really recommend that you wring out any of your brushes though). It does take a significantly longer time than any of my other brushes to dry, but it’s a lot bigger than them too. For me to be able to use this brush the next day, I have to make sure that I wash it before 2pm the day before. I just lay it on it’s side off the edge of the bathroom counter to dry.

tokidoki Kabuki Brush, after first washing

So… is it actually useful? Well, first of all, given the length of the bristles and the density of the brush, it’s not a real kabuki brush… except for the shape. It’s a little too floppy to function as a true kabuki brush in my opinion. However, it is an exceptionally soft large powder brush. I’ve been using it for putting on setting powder, highlighter and bronzer and I really love it for those applications. As you can see in the picture, it distributes powder verrrry evenly.

tokidoki Kabuki Brush, with powder

I don’t think the brush is really very good for buffing on powder foundation since you can’t actually press too hard without the bristles bending too much (aka the brush isn’t quite dense enough, too floppy). It’s great as long as you try to only use the purple part of the bristles on your skin, but you can’t really “buff” like that, does that make sense? That being said, you can totally grab or tie the brush to make it denser, in which case it does become a great buffing brush. I personally don’t like to do that with my brushes though, especially when I have a fully functional (albeit no longer retractable) Ecotools retractable kabuki for time when I really want to buff in powder.

tokidoki Kabuki Brush as a kabuki side view top view

All in all, I think this is a really fun brush to have and a beautiful collector’s item, but it’s not a must-have in terms of function. I think it functions best as a large fluffy powder brush and there are plenty of cheaper, long-handled options for those. I will, however, still enjoy using mine every day. :D

Disclaimer: I received this product as a gift from a friend. Neither she nor I am not affiliated with the manufacturer or distributor of this product and neither of us received compensation for this review.

Tags:

39 Responses to “tokidoki Kabuki Brush”

1. Maggie says:

Even though it’s not completely functional, I love it! It’s too cute and the artwork/design is gorgeous! :D
    Hahaha, I thought that picture of the wet kabuki was really cool. It looked kind of like a sea anemone! ^^
    .-= Maggie´s last blog ..April 2010 Favorites + Kate Reflect Mirror Eyes! =-.

Isn’t it freaking adorable?! I think it’s totally worth it as long as you know you’re not getting an actual kabuki ’cause … I think you’d be disappointed it you expected a kabuki brush.

& LOL. It actually freaks me out a bit! I wish it were easier to spread out the bristles so they dry faster but they really like clumping together. I forgot to mention that it actually helps a lot to rotate the brush on different sides for it to dry faster.

this is totally adorable. i like that second picture of the top view, where there is a smiley face and the backgrounf is the huge purple hair of the brush :p oh i get amused by little things :p hehehe.
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..Skincare Routine — Morning =-.

HEHEHE – that’s totally my favorite part of the box too! :D

3. Kayla says:

I saw this when I went to Sephora on Tuesday! Their packaging is super cute!

I still don’t have a Kabuki brush.. what am I missing out on !? Ha! But I did order some Sigma brushes last week and I think there was a kabuki in my order. I guess we’ll see when I get it!

I adore the purple top on this brush.. makes it look funkayy hhaha. And i trust that it’s soft, it even LOOKS soft!

<3 Kayla
    .-= Kayla´s last blog ..makeup haul: benefit, too faced, smashbox, sephora, and mac =-.

I ♥ tokidoki. :D

& hahaha. Hmmm, I don’t know! I use them for buffing on mineral makeup, primarily. I think if you didn’t buff in powder foundation you probably wouldn’t need one though I do know some people use it to buff in liquid foundation (I would just *hate* having to wash a kabuki every day though D:).

The purple top is awesome. I think Target had some kabukis that had teal, purple and yellow tips?

4. This does look like it would be great for setting powder. aaah I love the white into purple, and it looks sooo soft

It is great for setting powder, but honestly, the EcoTools full size powder brush is much less fussy to use, costs a third of the price and dries in about a third of the time as well. And it’s maybe a teensy bit less soft. I think the greatest value in this brush lies in the fact that it’s such a collector’s item.

5. jen says:

Wow! That is a huge brush! :D But it does look really neat though! It’s always fun to have a collector’s item :) It does look really freaking soft too!
    .-= jen´s last blog ..weekend haulage =-.

It is really big! I think the value of this brush is definitely primarily in it’s collector’s value. There are a lot of other soft, easier to care for powder brushes out there.

I wouldn’t use it probably because its just too cute!!!

LOL. It’s actually really easy to wash!

7. Carol L says:

OMG, totally still reminds me of those amusement park light in the dark things. It looks even more like it these pics than the twitter pics!

LOL. I totally know what you’re talking about! :D

8. coffretgorge says:

waaah its so cute catherine! i must check if its available here! :) cute cute pics! thanks for sharing! xo
    .-= coffretgorge´s last blog ..The Face Shop NOTD + Over The Top and Sisterhood Awards =-.

Hahaha, you’re welcome! Hope you find it!

9. Soo Jin says:

I love the entire line! SOOO adorable! I picked up two lipglosses just because the packaging was so cute! :D

Hehehe. Duuuude I wish the lipglosses were more pigmented!! I picked up Devil Girl a couple weeks ago because it was the only one I thought I’d actually get use out of. I realllllly wanted Strawberry Latte for the cap but it was practically clear gloss even on the back of my hand… ;_;

10. YJ says:

I saw this at Sephora this past weekend and I was sooooo tempted to get it (the packaging is just TOO freaking cute!) but I don’t think I would ever use it… I’d be too afraid to mess it up =P
    .-= YJ´s last blog ..Blingblingbling! =-.

Aww lol – it’s actually a pretty sturdy brush. I was pretty rough with it washing it, but it’s held up admirably so far. =)

11. fuz says:

It’s super cuuuute!
    .-= fuz´s last blog ..Diorskin Nude Natural Glow Fresh Powder Makeup =-.

It’s definitely a cute collector’s item!

12. yumeko says:

that super cute!!!
    .-= yumeko´s last blog ..Give me Liberty..of London! MAC haul and more! =-.

Hehehe. :D :D :D

w00t for cute packaging :D too bad it’s not REALLYYYY that functional but, hey. collector’s item for sure! :)
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Hair Dye – PIC HEAVY! =-.

LOL. No, I do really think the main value in the brush comes from it’s collectible value. It’s an ok powder brush, but the Ecotools full size powder brush is way easier to wash/use and costs a third of the price. Buuuuut, it’s not as cute LOL.

adorable! I think I’m kind of glad I didn’t pick it up though, since it’s not a “true” kabuki…I have a mini ecotools kabuki but I’m going to look for that retractable brush :)

oh, if you’re ever pressed for time to get your brushes to dry, you might want to get a cheap mini desk fan (less than $10-15 from Target or Home Depot or something) to help speed up the process. I have a mini fan that I bought when I was in my old apt (there was no real a/c, so I had the fan on while I applied makeup to keep myself from sweating it off in the morning, lol) and now I use it to dry my brushes. I just use claw clips to hold the bristles in place for about 70% of the drying time, since the air from the fan tends to bend them back a bit :) it’s perfect for drying the really dense brushes like kabukis and synthetic flat top brushes!
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..Laura Mercier Stickgloss =-.

You should be! It really isn’t a true kabuki, I think you’d be disappointed if you wanted it for buffing. And duuuude I ADORE the mini Ecotools kabuki but mine got all scratchy after only ~6 months. And I don’t want to keep buying the mineral set to get it. I have two retractable kabukis (one broke lol) so I’m still looking for the full size bronzer brush, which is supposed to basically be a kabuki on a stick.

& oooooooh that’s a great idea!! Dude, I didn’t even think of getting a fan for my makeup area because my face totally gets sweaty in the morning too (especially after hot showers in the summer!). I think I even have a small fan around here somewhere! Thanks!! :D

It so cute! And being purple helps too~~ Although I hardly use Kabuki brushes anyway…
    .-= Jian´s last blog ..Chanel Foundation & Mac Fix+ Spray Haul, Skirts and Shoes =-.

Heeheehee. It is totally adorable, but it’s not a real kabuki at all. More of an oversized powder brush. =)

16. Linda says:

Great review! I love that the brush is tokidoki and that it is purple! More points for cuteness right there. hahah It looks so soft and fluffy. I just want to touch it. lol
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..Amazing Cosmetics Concealer =-.

Thanks! I try to be thorough. & yeaaaa I think most of the brush’s value is in it’s cuteness and the fact that it is a tokidoki collector’s item. It’s not terribly functional. It’s a decent powder brush, but there are many out there that are cheaper and easier to use… but this one is just so damn cute LOL! It is really soft and fluffy. :D

Linda responds:

I’m weak for cute stuff and pretty packaging too. lol so you are not alone. hahah =]
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..Chocolate Covered Strawberries =-.

17. Angie says:

Tokidoki is so freaking cute : ) ! I was so tempted to buy their palettes and eyeshadows

tokidoki is sooooooo cute! I really wanted to love one of the eyeshadow palettes, but none of them seemed to really grab me! I’m hoping they come out with new stuff soon though haha. :D

18. tomi says:

Well I enjoyed gazing at this post veryyy much… heeeeee.. *daze* soso freaking cute!! It is like a purple furry pet. The brush reminds me of a type of flower I dont know the name of when it’s wet. AP euro test is over with as well! I’m just about on cloud nine right now :) :)
    .-= tomi´s last blog ..Why the Coastal Scents 88 Palette is a half fail =-.

Congratulations on finishing your test! :D

19. tomi says:

oh, one more question.. what would you say is the difference in function of a kabuki and a normal large powder brush? as in what different purposes would you use a kabuki for and why? thxx!
    .-= tomi´s last blog ..Why the Coastal Scents 88 Palette is a half fail =-.

So, when I think kabuki brush, I think of a slightly smaller, dense, round brush (though not necessarily, I guess) that can be used to buff in foundation whereas when I think of a powder brush I think of a large, fluffy brush to dust on loose powder with. I think the main difference is the coverage that you get. You’ll get much higher coverage with a kabuki since the bristles are more dense versus a true powder brush (it also depends on how fluffy the one you have is). For example, I used to wear Everyday Minerals mineral makeup. When my skin was really nice, I often just used the EcoTools powder brush to dust on some mineral makeup and that was enough to even out my skintone. Now that I have darker acne marks, dusting on some powder barely makes a difference lol, so I would have to buff on a lot more foundation powder with a kabuki brush (my fav is the ecotools retractable, but it’s definitely not the densest out there). On the flipside, if I tried applying silica spheres setting powder with a kabuki, I would inadvertently dry out my skin whereas just tapping a powder brush in it and sweeping it over my face is perfect. Hope that made sense!