Friday FOTD: NARS Torrid & tokidoki Devil Girl

Hi guys, so due to popular demand I did a quick FOTD with tokidoki Devil Girl lipgloss today. I recently got shu uemura’s P Beige cream eyeshadow in my F&F order as well as MAC Smoke & Diamonds in a swap and the combination of P Beige and Smoke & Diamonds is quickly becoming my favorite neutral EOTD. It’s so quick and easy and has gone beautifully with everything I’ve matched it with so far. Some taupes are too cool-toned for me to wear with warmer cheek/lip combos, but P Beige and Smoke & Diamonds are so versatile. :D

Eyes: shu uemura P Beige, MAC Smoke & Diamonds; Cheeks: NARS Torrid, Laura Mercier Gilded Garden; Lips: tokidoki Devil Girl; (Pictures taken without gloss and with gloss.)

As I said, tokidoki Devil Girl is one of the most pigmented of the Prisma Glosses, and I would call it sheer-to-medium pigmented. It’s certainly not clear like some of the other ones, but it’s far from full-coverage. I would like to note though, that it’s maybe twice as pigmented in real life as it looks to be in the pictures. I find glossiness/transparent lip products always photograph a whole lot more sheer than they really are. Devil Girl is a really cute strawberry red that’s easy to wear and it doesn’t pool up or bleed terribly.

I’ve been trying out Make Up For Ever’s Face & Body foundation and I am in love with it! While I do love the Shu Uemura Face Architect Smoothing Foundation I’ve been wearing (and just bought a backup of), it’s just a touch heavy for summertime and I feel like I have to refresh it a little too often for my liking. MUFE F&B on the other hand is much lighter, dewier and looks more like my skin even when I get a little oilier from the heat. (Speaking of which, SoCal weather has been so schizophrenic lately!) I’m wearing a sample of 20 in the FOTD and it’s clearly a little too light for me but I just picked up 32 which matched me perfectly in the sunlight today. I’m excited to wear it tomorrow. :D

Tags: , , , ,

41 Responses to “Friday FOTD: NARS Torrid & tokidoki Devil Girl”

1. socal weather really has been crazy on/off lately. I don’t know what’s going on but it’s bringing out my allergies which have turned themselves into a super irritated throat darnit. I’ve heard such good things about the MUFE foundation, glad you like it! Do you have any good drugstore foundations you could recommend? I only wear foundation on special occasions so I it’s not something I splurge on
    .-= makeup morsels´s last blog ..Twist It Up =-.

Dude! It’s been crazy! Yesterday was so on/off with the sun, I think that’s what finally set off my cold. ;_; Sorry to hear about your allergies, I hope they feel better soon. I know the wind’s been really kicking up a ton of stuff though.

As for drugstore foundations, what’s your skintype? You’re more on the oily side, right? If I recall correctly Revlon Photoready is supposed to be a MUFE HD drugstore version. I would stay away from the Neutrogena Healthy Skin though, if you’re oily, it was really thin and watery and never really set (even with powder). Other than that I unfortunately don’t really have much experience with drugstore foundations. I do loooove Everyday Minerals semi-matte formula and I’d probably still been wearing it if it played with my concealer nicely.

makeup morsels responds:

oh eek I’m sorry! hope you recover as quickly as possible. yup I’m oily/combo. Oh, I did try that but it felt way too heavy on my face. I’m wondering if I should just spend some money on a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, I’ve heard those are very nice
    .-= makeup morsels´s last blog ..EOTD In Your Brown Eyes =-.

makeup morsels responds:

oh and p.s. I LOVE P Beige (I have the pressed shadow though, not the cream.) I wore it for my eye makeup today and it gives my lids the prettiest sheen

I adore Shu shadows and the cream shadow is soooo nice. :D

Thanks! I just went to the doctor today to get a note. Hoping to be better by mid-week so I can get my life back on track.

Hm. If PhotoReady was too heavy for you, you would probably like a tinted moisturizer better. I’m not sure if the LM ones are exactly the right choice since they are pretty high coverage for tinted moisturizers. A lot of people agree it’s more like a light-medium coverage foundation, which is what PhotoReady/MUFE HD are supposed to be. Furthermore, I believe the combination of sunscreen ingredients in all the LM TMs is unstable. I’ve never tried any drugstore tinted moisturizers because 99% of them have chemical sunscreens, but you might like the Korres Ginger & Vitamins or Tarte Smooth Operator. Korres felt slightly less oily to me (but I was also trying to use way more of it than I should have, it’s much more a TM than a foundation) but the Tarte was more pigmented.

HTH!

oo thanks for the swatch, it’s pretty :) that MUFE foundation sounds great! Have you tried their HD foundie? I’ve always wantd to give that a try!
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..Weekend: Graduation =-.

You’re welcome. =) I’ve got a sample of the HD foundation but I haven’t actually tried it out on my face yet. So far I’m loving the F&B though since it’s much lighter and waterproof. From what I’ve heard the HD is actually pretty similar to the Shu Face Architect Smoothing foundation.

3. Janice says:

Love the lippie on you! I always wanted Torrid, but it looks so scary bright in the pan. Beautiful FOTD btw.

Thanks! Torrid is realllly beautiful! I actually don’t find it to be all that terribly pigmented (as far as super pigmented blushes go, anyway). I’ve been using the Ecotools powder brush from the mineral set instead of my MAC 188 and find that that gives me a much nicer finish. It’s totally very blendable too. =)

4. jen says:

You look so pretty with the lipgloss :) I have heard awesome things from every Makeup Forever product. I see it @ Sephora all the time :) One of these days, I will probably pick up the F&B foundation :)
    .-= jen´s last blog ..Cleanser and Foundation Reviews =-.

I’ve only worn the MUFE F&B twice so far, but I’m really loving it! I think it’s great for summer since it doesn’t misciblize (if that makes any sense) as much as the Shu one when I get a little sweaty. With the Shu one on hot days I’ve been having to blot and refresh 3x a day (though to its credit it looks PERFECT after refreshing) whereas the MUFE one is dewier but looks much more like my own skin all day.

The lipgloss looks really great on you! and love the blush on you too, very pretty :D
    .-= Dina (XYYan)´s last blog ..Love from Angel! =-.

Thanks! I’m totally loving corals right now. :D

love the side by side photos, you still look beautiful on both, you did great enhancing what needs to be enhanced! Your lovely eyes and lips!

Oh haha, the photos weren’t meant to be enhanced, I just used “auto levels” in Photoshop to correct the brightness.

The eye is my new favorite eye combo!

7. fuz says:

It looks really bright and cute~ :D
    .-= fuz´s last blog ..OL’s Best Friend : Vichy Thermal Spa Water =-.

It’s a really lovely strawberry red that’s not too dark at all. It’s a little more pigmented and even IRL. =)

8. Linda says:

The lipgloss looks so pretty! The NARS Torrid blush looks great on you too. I want to get it now! lol
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..Mini Mac Haul =-.

Thanks! Dude, Torrid is really beautiful – everything everyone said it was! I actually don’t find it quite as pigmented as some of the other NARS blushes though (not necessarily a bad thing!!) and so I’ve been using the powder brush from the Ecotools mineral set to apply it. Looks way more even than using my MAC 188.

Summer time definitely means to pull out the lighter foundation! I’m looking into the Revlon Tinted Moisturizer (it’s like 75% off at CVS right now). I’ve heard great stuff about it. But anyways – love the FOTD – all those pinkie colors really make you glow and happy :D!
    .-= ndoodles´s last blog ..finding a summer look =-.

Duuuuude. I’m so frustrated shopping for foundation at the drugstore ’cause I can’t test any of the colors out on me and I feel like 75% of them have some sort of chemical sunscreen that puts them out of the running for me. =/ I have to admit one of the biggest reasons I wanted to try F&B is that it’s almost twice the amount of foundation than the Shu for cheaper, lol. And I don’t know if this is just me, but it seems like I get a lot better feedback about high end foundations and what skin type, etc they’re good for. Or maybe I’m just not looking hard enough. =/

& thanks! I’m really loving corals lately. :D

10. Sarah says:

Oooh looking gorgeous miss :)
    That gloss is so shiny and pretty…
    I love the look of Nars Torrid on you too!!!!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Movie Makeup- Inspired by Disney’s "Sleeping Beauty"… =-.

Thanks hon! :D

Oh, I love the lipgloss on you – super cuuute! Love your clean eye makeup today too! ;)
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Look: Simple way to create more depth to flat Asian eyes ‘MAC Gazette Grey and Dior Golden Spotlight’ =-.

Thanks Jess! It’s my new favorite eyeshadow combination. :D

12. Arianne says:

Love your lashes here. Are you wearing your HG mascara? :)
    .-= Arianne´s last blog ..Summer FOTD: Corals Overload! =-.

Thanks! Yup, I’m wearing Kiss Me Heroine Long & Curl in basically every single FOTD I post unless otherwise noted. (I think the biggest difference is just that I curl them better sometimes than other times LOL…). The mascara is really waterproof, but I’ve had no problem removing it with the green L’Oreal makeup remover (works way better than Neutrogena imo) or any cleansing oil I’ve tried so far!

the weather here has been crazy as well! it was in the 60s over the weekend and now it’s supposed to go up to the 80s tomorrow and even 90 on weds!

devil girl does add a nice touch of color :) lol oh no, more foundation recs?! I magically found my Korres ginger & vitamins in my traincase, I’m hoping it still works for me….otherwise I might be making a trip to Sephora to use my VIB discount and check out that MUFE foundation!
    .-= mayaari´s last blog ..The Face Shop White Mud Nose Pack, gifts, and more =-.

Bah! I hate this transitionary weather! We’re pretty consistently in the mid-to-high 60s, it’s just that it’s a world of difference whether there’s sun or clouds or wind. =/

& yea, I think Devil Girl is pretty cute and worth owning. It’s not a spectacular lipgloss by any means lol, but it’s so cute haha. And LOL. I wish the Korres Ginger & Vitamins worked well for me! I think my main problem was I tried to layer it up too much and that didn’t work well at all and now I’m right in between LF2 and LF4. I totally loved everything else about the formula though! (But you know, if you do price/oz comparison, MUFE F&B is $22 and Korres G&V is ~$20, so the difference isn’t *that* much.)

The MUFE F&B isn’t perfect by any means and I’m still trying to figure out the best way to put it on in the morning, but the one thing I really love about it is that no matter how oily I get or whether or not I totally forgot to blot, it never looks ridiculously oily and the foundation doesn’t miscibilize (… I know that’s not a word, but does that make sense??) the way other foundations do when I get oily. But I’ve only worn it 3x so far (sick right now haha ;_;) so I def need to do more testing. =)

Does the MUFE F&B in 32 suit you?

I loooove P Beige and Smoke & Diamonds on you! I’ve never been interested in Shu or MAC e/s but you have changed my mind.. enabler!!!!!
    .-= Blair´s last blog ..Bihada Ichizoku Cheek Beige =-.

Yea! It looks a little light and off to me in certain lights… but I think I’m just paranoid. SO assures me that it looks fine and I took a picture in sunlight today and it matches perfectly haha. I think part of the problem is that my forehead is significantly darker than my neck and so that always throws me off a bit.

& oh dude, Shu eyeshadows are sooooo nice! And the cream shadows are amazing! P Beige definitely won’t be my last. MAC eyeshadows are hit and miss with the quality but Smoke & Diamonds is one of the gems for sure!

15. evie says:

i have been searching for a few nars pdts that i would like to buy and thanks for the fotd with torrid!XD was not really interested in tokidoki but the lipgloss is super pretty!!

You know, I’m having a really hard time getting into NARS! I like the two blushes I have so far but I’m not really wowed by them, and it seems like the eyeshadows are pretty hit or miss as well. Torrid and Sin are really so lovely though, and I’m hoping the texture of the matte ones is nicer. Overall I find all of their powders a tad on the dry, chalky side though. =/

& haha, tokidoki is also hit or miss like any other line. So far I’m convinced I’ve picked out the few gems though hehe.

16. evie says:

oops forgot to add…you are making me interested in them! nnoo!! i have aot of things in my wishlist already!
    .-= evie´s last blog ..Small Gmarket Haul.. =-.

17. Cecilia says:

Wow I love this look. You look so pretty! I have been thinking of buying either MUFE F&B or MAC F&B for summer too. I think I am leaning towards MUFE since I have heard nothing but good things about it, but it’s not very widely available here so I might have a hard time finding a suitable match. I wish my skin can be photoshopped perfect so I don’t have to go through the hassle of buying a different foundation for each season lol!
    .-= Cecilia´s last blog ..Nail of The Day : Topshop Gypsy Night =-.

Thanks!! :D

Hmmm, I’ve never tried the MAC F&B (not for lack of trying though! Apparently they’re only available at Pro stores and I just don’t have easy access to one … because I don’t drive lol) but Rae at theNotice just did a great comparison: http://ethicnote.blogspot.com/2010/05/three-quick-foundation-reviews-swatches.html. I really like the MUFE but it’s not quite HG yet. I’ve only worn it for 4 days so far and I’m still definitely trying to figure out how to get the best finish from the get-go. What I do love about it though, is how light it feels, how it looks amazingly like real skin at the end of the day and how it never seems to look REALLY oily even though my blotting papers say otherwise. & duuuuude I hear you!! I loooove the Shu FA Smoothing so much, but as soon as I start sweating even the tiniest bit it just all goes to hell (though I must say it refreshes beautifully).

oooo interested in the F&B fndtn now.. sounds pretty good :) haha. the gloss looks nice! so fresh and clean.

It’s really nice! And at $22/oz it’s actually pretty affordable as far as HE foundations go! & yea, I think it’s a really cute gloss. I have to admit I wouldn’t have bought it if it weren’t for the packaging, but I typically never buy gloss, so I’m not sure that’s saying much lol.

19. Absolutely lovely!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all that info on sugar. I really appreciate it. :) I plan on checking out the vid once I’ve completed my traffic school.

Aww thank you! :D

& you’re welcome! I try to tell as many people as I can haha. My parents never thought they ate unhealthy… but there’s so much more to being healthy than just not being overweight, you know what I mean? Good luck with your traffic school!